Reviews tagging Gore

As Good As Dead, by Holly Jackson

piperhill's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

While it makes sense that the finale of the trilogy would be something a little different than the first two, this book felt really tedious. By halfway through, I felt like I was slogging through - there were so many details & descriptions of each movement or thought Pip had…I felt like it could have been a way shorter book with the same impact. I enjoyed experiencing Pip’s thought processes & the overall storyline was intriguing…but I got pretty bored toward the end, just waiting to know what would happen and not interested in the details.

Also…it felt a little over the top & difficult to believe.
SpoilerLike…Pip should know that the truth almost always comes out eventually? I get that her ptsd is making her not think rationally at times, but….really? When she decided to cover up the murder, I felt so frustrated! I totally get not trusting the justice system, but…framing someone for a murder they didn’t commit & expecting that you can just go back to a normal life? she’s gonna be scarred for life & haunted with that decision, even if Max deserved to be behind bars for another crime. It felt out of character and foolish and…not a great plot twist imo

Warning that this one is a lot darker than the first 2, both in the overall subject matter (serial killer/rapist/stalker) as well as the aspects of PTSD Pip is dealing with after the end of the second book.

atlaslibrary's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring mysterious tense

Amazing book. Everyone kept telling me it was the best in the series, and I see why. At first I was skeptical because it was going so slow but around 20% it started picking up pace. Read this book in 4 days, which is super fast for me. Once I got past the first 20% of the book, I couldn’t put it down. There were definitely some scenes that made me want to throw up, so make sure to look at trigger warnings before picking this book up. I’d say I’m satisfied with this ending to the series.

criticalbooks's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative mysterious sad tense medium-paced

elthechameleon's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

Spoiler I don’t buy that Pip didn’t immediately guess that Jason Bell was the DT killer, but the rest of this book made sense.

I’m in shock after this book. I felt very ambivalent and was screaming for a 4th installation until the last 30 seconds. I hope Holly Jackson turns this into an even longer running series. I think she could have. This character is interesting and hard, and the full circle narratives and the continuous pointing to patriarchy as the root of problems is really poignant.

I didn’t see this plot coming at all, and that’s why I’m both angry and impressed. This is not a satisfying book, but it deliberately takes a plot path that is harder and less explored. It dives headfirst into the gray zone with a traumatized Pip, and I found every minute of it well planned.

I’m so sad to say goodbye to the people of Fairview. And the audio narrator, who has given one of the best performances I’ve listened to this year in this series.

Definitely will read anything else Jackson puts out.

bookish_kori's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

abi_ineedtoreadmore's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense fast-paced

empathreads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

It's going back full circle. That in itself was the part that got me thinking how the plot was moving to lurk back into the beginning to end this misery. This got me through a dreadful experience that was very traumatizing. As a matter of fact, the incident took up a lot of chapters due to its detailed account of how the characters pulled through to come to a decision that was air-tight with a solid alibi. I didn't know what to expect after, but the end brought me both tears of joy and agony, though the former was overpowering.

nymeria_reads's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

One of the best books I've ever read

maisiemoo's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced