Reviews tagging Mental illness

As Good As Dead, by Holly Jackson

abiwilkes24's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

dearbhlanoonan's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense fast-paced

trinitytang's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

so much better than the second book! i cant believe the main character here is the same girl as the first book - so much has changed between that time frame. i miss how pip was in the first book and the thrill of uncovering a new clue in her murder case. this book is so much darker and more serious, and it really shows how much has changed. whether you thought the plot was too predictable or not, or if you hated pip in the end, the careful planning conducted by the author is amazing. the first book could have been a stand-alone, tying up loose ends. but after reading the third book, you realize that the author has been planning this exact ending since the very beginning. all the hints left from the very first book, the references, and the ending coming in a complete full circle is genius. while it isn't the happiest ending, it definitely ended in a more realistic one. when i read about
SpoilerHH and its significance
my jaw basically dropped. it's not that the author complicated a storyline for new material, but it was something purposely left unaddressed to really complete the plot. loved loved loved it, although i wish
Spoilerant and lauren got what was coming for them. and of course that there was an epilogue really reuniting ravi and pip, although the ending was pretty good at leaving this up to the imagination
while im not sure that i enjoyed this book more than the first one, there are definitely elements i like more from the first book, i can say that this was not a series dragged on for money and profit. it was intentional and planned and i loved every thrill of it.

m4rtt4's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

What the hell. What the fuck. What on earth did I just read??
I really dislike the plot twist and the ending overall, but despite that I oddly find myself liking the book. I'd like to hate it, but I can't remember any books having ever made me as anxious as this one, and I mean that as a compliment. What a ride, what a page-turner. There definitely was some character development, just in the wrong direction... I usually like moral ambiguity, but this book should have stuck to its predecessors. The second half of the book was not what I wanted at all, nor do I consider it a suitable ending to the series, but THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITE TRILOGIES AFTER ALL AND THE WRITING WAS ADDICTING IN THIS ONE AS WELL. One star reduced for the awful choices, but the rest still deserves the full four.

Also I don't give nor have I ever given a shit about Pip and Ravi's relationship.

Spoilerthe murder would have been a great plot twist if Pip hadn't cared about justice and "being right" all the time. I totally understand her mental health issues and everything she's gone through, but GOD DAMN WAS IT ANNOYING THAT SHE KEPT BLAMING MAX AFTER DOING WORSE CRIMES HERSELF. The framing would have been okay as well had she not done it because "Max deserves to go to jail after all his crimes" well what do you deserve then hun xx

asophia1014's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

chyannamarie's review against another edition

dark mysterious fast-paced

anielabooks's review against another edition

dark emotional inspiring mysterious tense

Amazing book. Everyone kept telling me it was the best in the series, and I see why. At first I was skeptical because it was going so slow but around 20% it started picking up pace. Read this book in 4 days, which is super fast for me. Once I got past the first 20% of the book, I couldn’t put it down. There were definitely some scenes that made me want to throw up, so make sure to look at trigger warnings before picking this book up. I’d say I’m satisfied with this ending to the series.

monicka's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Wow...this one was crazy and kinda morbid in some parts, but I loved it! It wasn't really similar to the previous books, but I loved the storyline, how the facts and parts fitted into it

selinamaria's review against another edition

dark emotional funny mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

oh my, where to begin.
to put it lightly this book was an emotional rollercoaster.
It’s definitely not an easy read, and it’s pretty dark throughout its entirety.
Nevertheless, with the right state of mind it’s an excellent read 😅

I do wish we’d seen more of *that ending*, knowing there won’t be another book. But I guess we’ll just have to use our imaginations and picture a world that lives happily ever after 💀

Holly Jackson destroyed me😭

khloereads86's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Ahh I want more! The ending felt so abrupt I wish we got a little more after that. That last little bit was heartbreaking for Pip & everyone she loved.
I was hooked the first half of the book trying to figure out who it was. I really enjoyed the stalker part of it even though it was frustrating to see Pip not take her safety that seriously and keep going out alone.
Spoiler I did notice a few main hints early on, like the necklace and the hairbrush and when Jason was standing at the door watching when she got the (second?) call, but I wasn’t 100% sure if it was him or Hawkins for a while.

The second half of the book I’m not so sure about. I definitely didn’t enjoy it as much as the first half or the previous books.
Spoiler I really wasn’t expecting the killer to take her so early on, and for her to end up killing him instead seemed really out of character for Pip. It was made very clear too that it wasn’t totally in self defense, she made a conscious decision to go back and kill him instead of getting free and providing the police all the evidence of what had happened. I understand her mistrust of the justice system somewhat but if she had given them everything she’d found on the DT killer and they had found the evidence at his house (trophies) and in his car especially, they would have had to arrest him. They figured out he was the killer and a rapist at the end of the book anyways. It was really interesting to see her work through the steps and come up with ideas to get her and anyone she involved out of trouble, but I didn’t like that she brought her friends into that situation either. It was something she decided to do, and she brought them into danger directly by involving them in the coverup even if they had ‘plausible deniability’ technically. They obviously all knew she’d killed him and even before that that she’d committed a serious crime, and she put them at risk anyways to save herself instead of doing everything she could to fix it herself (usually to her own self-detriment) like she would have in previous books to protect them.

I also really liked that Pip’s ptsd was somewhat addressed, although I really don’t understand how her parents thought she would be okay enough to stop talking to a therapist after such a short amount of time considering what she’d been through.