The Nothing Man by Catherine Ryan Howard

twoo_17's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

amanda071's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

exquisite_tragedy's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this! It was told in alternating timelines between a true crime book and the serial killer featured in the book. I don’t always like the “book within a book” thing, but I thought it worked well. My only issue was that it was very slow burn, which left me wanting a little bit more from the ending. But all in all, this was a solid read. I’d highly recommend this book to true crime fans.

Story: 3/5
Audiobook: 5/5 (narrated by Alana Kerr Collins & John Keating)
Length 9h57min

bookph1le's review against another edition

3.5 stars

I found this engrossing, and I thought the story-within-a-story structure worked pretty well, making this an innovative way of telling a mystery/thriller.

carlabear's review against another edition

3.5 stars ⭐️

litwithleigh's review against another edition

Writing: 5/5 | Plot: 5/5 | Ending: 5/5

THE PLOT

Eve Black was 12 years old when The Nothing Man popped up and murked her entire family. 17 odd years later, Black is back with a memoir-ish novel dedicated to finding this mystery man. Jim Doyle, The Nothing Man IRL, is reading along to see what Black remembers, and how close she gets to the truth.

MY OPINION

May the real Nothing Man please stand up? I love a book told from the POV of the bad guy, especially when it's as well done as Jim Doyle's character. His background, current life, behaviours (oh Canada spelling), and motives all make sense. It's not too far fetched; it's perfectly plausible that Jim's character could reflect a real life serial killer (hopefully not, though).

This is the first book I've read with a book within a book, and I actually enjoyed it. I can see how everyone might not enjoy Eve's writing style, but I liked how she recounted the other victim's stories. It was engaging, and the right amount of juicy juice to keep me interested. Also, major creep factor.

PROS AND CONS

Pros: creepy AF, well-paced, quick read.

Cons: TBH, it's not really a psychological thriller... You know who did it. The only question is, how will it end? So if you're looking for a mystery read that keeps you guessing the motives of the characters and how it all comes together, this isn't for you.

karlyo83's review against another edition

My Rating Style: 3.5 rounded down to 3⭐️⭐️⭐️ enjoyable and reliable but not a TOP SHELF STAR!!!

Eve Black was 12 when her world was ripped apart and her family was killed by the serial killer ‘The Nothing Man’. She survived but not without a tremendous amount of survivors guilt and a deep seated need to find the never before caught ‘Nothing Man’

Jim is at work, at his boring security job wasting time when he spots a book written by the only survivor of a brutal attack - Eve Black. The book is called ‘The Nothing Man’. Could this really be a book about Jim, about his alternate self ‘The Nothing Man. Jim is drawn in and cannot stop reading because the more he reads the more he realises Eve is closer than ever to finding out who Jim really is and he cannot let that happen…

This book is told from the POV of Jim aka The Nothing man. From the get go we find out who the bad guy is, but that is not a spoiler for this story it makes it intriguing because you get to go back in time to read about the deeds of this serial killer.

emily_bg's review against another edition

challenging mysterious tense medium-paced

naereads's review against another edition

challenging mysterious tense medium-paced

Might be better as an audio with voice cues - sometimes I was lost in if I was reading the book or the book within the book. Very interesting format and overall I appreciated the read.

jrkinyak's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

I loved this and lost sleep over it. I love the structure and the physical design of it—maybe the best book-within-a-book I can remember. Great premise, great payoff, great writing, great story.