We Were Liars, by E. Lockhart

130sat's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

alanae's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

stellukka's review against another edition

this book in one sentence: started as shit and slowly became better.

Okay but in all seriousness the first 100 pages were 1. Boring 2. Confusing 3. Way too artsy and poetic for my preference. But after the first time 100 pages (note that it's a 200 page book so basically half of the book) it slowly started gaining some momentum and started having a plot.

I have heard some people say that this book is the best they have ever read... I disagree. I have also heard that people have found some life changing quotes from this book that they have later gotten tattooed. I have no idea if I even read the same novel cause I didn't find find any. (Will check out other people's reviews afterwords to try and gain some insight.) It didn't leave me heartbroken, but maybe that's just me.

and one last thing of annoyance is the way the text was composed. It was probably some cool modern literature thing that went over my head. But on the first 50 to 100 pages the sentences,
went like,
this.
And to add on to this rant is the sheer amount of figure speech and metaphors. Sometimes it was hard to even differentiate metaphors and actual events.

All in all..
would I read it again? no.
would I recommend it? highly doubt it unless they really liked more abstract and absurd novels.
did it end up in my top 3 worst novels list? no, so it wasn't terrible.
-----
a tiny update: read some other reviews and watched tiktoks about the book and they really opened it way more to me. Might have even shed a tear, but all in all it gave me more depth to the story and gave me some explanations. I would now give the book 2 1/2 stars

mialisha's review against another edition

You love it or hate it. There is no in between. I love it.

bobbie_reads's review against another edition

I don't like to leave bad reviews on books because I feel bad but I have to get over it for this book because it was simply just not good
that's really all you need to know it was just a not very good book
there was really no plot and very minimal storyline
the main character is a spoiled rich white girl with spoiled rich white girl problems that she thinks are so bad she does something really stupid
I'm not completely sure what the point of this book was??
but no hate if you liked it lol

corinna_maybe's review against another edition

DO NOT READ ANY REVIEWS BEFORE YOU FINISH THE BOOK.

You've been warned. All I knew was that there would be a "twist" and it ruined the whole book for me. At 20% I knew what that twist would be and it seemed like the chapters were only there to sow some leads and hints. Overall not a great loss as I didn't really get into it anyways. Probably 2/5.

bookishtish's review against another edition

Read this in about 7 hours. I must admit I guessed the plot twist about 30-40 pages in, if not sooner, yet I still loved the story. There were some things that resonated a lot with my own family dynamic thus it made the story relatable. The writing was clear and straight to the point making it an easy read. Also, totally loved the bond between the cousins and Gat. Overall, I really enjoyed this read.

miniando's review

dark emotional mysterious sad slow-paced

amyrea's review against another edition

challenging reflective sad slow-paced