Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline

aims42's review against another edition

I just finished this book and I feel like I just ran a marathon. What an exciting adventure this book is! The writing is excellent. Definitely 5/5 stars, no hesitation. WOWZA!!

hollyslittlebookreviews's review

I was surprised at how much I loved this book. I'm not really big into video games or gaming, but this book was written so incredibly well! Even without knowing a ton about the type of popular culture that this book is about, I had no trouble getting sucked into Wade's hunt for Halliday's egg. Much of the pop-culture is explained (although not in a way to make a reader feel stupid), and I loved the characters and the reality of how they became completely immersed in online culture. Plus, the ending was awesome ;)

I should also mention that I listened to the audiobook version which is read by Will Wheaton which made the book that much better. His reading of this novel was perfect. So, if you're hesitant about reading the book, I encourage you to try the audio!

zaraaap's review against another edition

i’ll admit this was fun but i had so many issues with it :/// all the 80s references were just pure name drops and while it was fun at first (despite not really getting them) it got so tedious after a while when chunks of paragraphs just rattled off useless info that didn’t really help the story or characters along. this kinda feeds in to another big problem where cline didn’t really do world building around the plot , he just took chunks to world build , then chunks for character dialogue or development - basically he didn’t really mesh the two together and so while the world building was actually really good it wasn’t fun to read because it was just chunks with facts about the world we learned about that weren’t well integrated with other parts of the book. wasn’t a big fan of how the female characters were treated or used either. i’d also argue there were a couple of instances when gender came up that were a bit dodgy (like when wade asks art3mis if she’s a girl and by girl someone who hasn’t had a sex change :||| ) - idk if i’m the only one who felt the same about that though.

zachclegg's review

Inventive in some fun ways and entirely predictable in others, I really enjoyed the book overall, especially the parts where the nostalgia of rediscovering old classics shone through. As intended it made me want to revisit some of the older games, movies and music mentioned.

zazureads's review

I read this book in 1 day- in 1 sitting. The only time I even ate anything was when a character mentioned "popping some corn" and I suddenly HAD to have some popcorn to accompany this movie- I mean video game- I mean book!
This is a MUST READ for anyone even remotely interested in any of the following: science fiction tv and movies (old and new); the evolution of computers, the internet, and gaming; vintage video games (yeah, Zork!) and modern MMO and RPG styles; technology's impact on society; 80s pop culture and music...

Need I say more to convince you how great this book is? And even if you're not familiar with any of that stuff, it'll still be an enjoyable and stimulating read with great characters, great moments of tension, and great twists set in a disturbingly plausible dystopian future.

Overall, I had great moments of nostalgia, learned a lot, was highly entertained, and amassed a small list of old scifi classics I must peruse immediately.

panda8882's review

This is really more of a 3.5 stars ... I was a little skeptical about this book at first mostly because I'm pretty anti-video game based on a past relationship. But this is a book that I have continued to think about long after I put it down. I think other people would enjoy it more for all of the 80's pop culture and video game references, but that part didn't appeal to me. I didn't think it was particularly well written either, but the ideas were really fascinating. At first I was thinking how absurd it was that there would be this virtual world that people would plug into to escape the real world as it was falling apart. But then, as I started to look around and saw everyone playing on their phones, I realized that we are halfway there. And then I thought about how some of the friends I talk to most often live in other places and so are relationships are primarily based in text, phone, facebook and facetime conversations. It makes you realize that this Oasis in this book isn't so far from the virtual reality we create with technology every day. I'm bummed that I missed the book club discussion on this because I'm sure it made for some interesting conversation. I can't stop thinking about this one.

trakkie's review

Fun, easy read. Clearly aimed at kids and geeks of the 80s, and yet had an extremely YA feeling that made it seem a little young at times - kind of weird since I'm guessing teenagers would not get any of the book's references. I did appreciate the fact that there was a character who was both female and a minority that didn't serve only as a love interest.

pyroxima's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

kennesaw59's review

I listened to the audio version which is narrated by Will Wheaton (from Star Trek: Next Generation fame). They could not have picked a better narrator, Mr Wheaton reads the book as if he is telling you one of his favorite stories. I find myself siting in my garage listening for up to half an hour after I arrive home, just to finish the current chapter.

If you have any interest in the 1980's, old computer games, virtual reality, near future Science Fiction or just like a good story told in a riveting manner, by all means read/listen to this book.

ro09's review against another edition

This book has become my all-time favorite,
truly madly deeply love it!