On a Night of a Thousand Stars, by Andrea Yaryura Clark

araines's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

krunkjess's review

*Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for providing this e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Pub date: March 1, 2022

This sweeping historical fiction is told through dual timelines—in 1973 we follow the story of Santiago and his world in the years leading up to and during the dark times of Argentina’s Dirty War, and then in 1998, we follow his daughter Paloma on her quest to find out the truth about her dad’s life while on a return visit to Argentina for Santiago’s UN ambassadorial appointment.

This novel is beautifully written and wildly engrossing while also providing a plethora of historical information. This will give you hopeful moments and heartbreaking moments—ultimately giving you a glance at the humanity of these lives through the depth of these characters. A stunning debut novel!

jesscerre's review

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

aidanhoman's review

dark emotional medium-paced

Simplistic narrative was helped by a deeply emotional and historic story

linseyr's review

This book delves into the era of the Argentinian "Dirty War" and the thousands of people forcibly "disappeared" during that time.
We follow the Larrea family- Santiago and Lila, and their adult daughter Paloma- in the late 90's as Santiago returns to his native Argentina from America to accept a UN position. Highly regarded in elite society, the family has quite the surprise when their party is interrupted by an old friend. Grace has secrets to share, and Paloma wants to get to the bottom of them.
At the same time we see what life was like in the late 70's for a young Santiago in Argentina. Political discourse abounds, people disappear left and right, and everyone's lives seem to hang in the balance.
I didn't know a whole lot about this era in history in South America and it was interesting to hear about the people who disappeared. This book was beautifully written, tugged at the heartstrings, and made me want to know more about Argentina's Dirty War and the innocent people who are affected to this day.
Thanks, NetGalley, for the eARC. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

reader_mama's review

A beautifully tragic story about “the disappeared” in Argentina. Told in alternate timelines, the present day story takes place in 1998, where 20 something Paloma starts looking into her family’s past life in Argentina. Her father, Santiago, is the subject of the past timeline 1970s-80s) and his life in Argentina during political unrest.

I was hooked on this story. I’ve never read about Argentina, and I certainly didn’t know anything about the people who were captured, tortured, beaten and killed during the military dictatorship that lasted almost a decade. The mystery of Paloma’s family was so intriguing. I did guess some of the twists, but that didn’t take away anything from the story. This book was so emotional, especially as a mother, thinking about losing a child, and I felt all the emotions as I was reading. Highly recommend this beautiful, yet heartbreaking book.

whatmadsreads's review

Wow wow...this book! Not gonna lie, it started out a little slow and I kept putting it down for other things, but yesterday I decided to read a good chunk and ended up finishing it because I was hooked!

This is a dual-timeline story, taking place in Argentina in the 1970s and 1998. In 1998 Paloma travels with her family to Argentina as her father is becoming ambassador to the UN, but Paloma has seen people speaking to her father and the things they are saying make her wonder. As she starts digging, she realizes she maybe doesn’t know her father at all.

Flashing back to the 1970s we see Paloma’s father, Santiago, as a college student living in the years leading up to the military dictatorship, and what really happened to him and those he loved as danger gets closer and closer. As Paloma is learning more, she realizes her father, and herself, may still be in danger.

This is a beautiful and heartbreaking story. I didn’t know anything about Argentina’s history before picking this one up and definitely want to learn more! @andreaclarkbooks grew up in Argentina in the 1970s and I believe did a wonderful job honoring these stories! An easy ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ for me!

Thank you to Grand Central Pub for the gifted copy! Pub date: March 1, 2022.

sbnich's review

The history was compelling. I don't know much about contemporary South American history, so the concept was really interesting.

The fictional part of the plot was mediocre, but taken together it is worth a read.

stephreadsallthebooks's review

emotional mysterious sad medium-paced

lisanewsphoto's review

Wow. This book, that ending.

I didn’t know much about Argentina’s “Dirty War” or even about Argentina itself. The author describes the city of Buenos Aires like a love story. The food, the people, the smaller towns outside the city. It made me want to sit in a cafe drinking mate with old friends.

Despite the beautiful descriptions of the city, I had trouble getting into this book. The main characters didn’t come across as all that interesting. It was until halfway through the book that things started happening and I started to become invested in the story.

Overall and interesting and compelling story. Thanks to NetGalley for the copy to review.