I is for Innocent by Sue Grafton

pato_myers's review against another edition

Quick enjoyable read. A few too many characters for me.

booklover28's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

antisocial_auntie's review against another edition

You know how sometimes you start yelling at a book character for not asking an obvious question and the situation comes up several times that they could naturally think of it? That was my frustration with this book. The main character forgot a lot of things in this one.

lavoiture's review against another edition

First Sue Grafton novel I've read...I might read more if I found them for 50 cents or something--I got this one for free. It was a standard-issue mystery.

...And I accidentally read it again on July 4. Obviously it wasn't that memorable.

honeycrisp612's review against another edition

mysterious medium-paced

jannenemarie's review against another edition

It was a good listen again. I liked the story but it seemed to be a little longer than needed.

sfujii's review against another edition

Meh. I'm becoming increasingly disenchanted with Kinsey...This was one of Grafton's earlier works, and she has definitely come a long way. But I found that all of the pieces didn't really come together as smoothly as I would have liked, or even in a way that made complete sense. The ending was very lighthearted, almost, and lacked the depth or suspense that it should have had.

I also listened to this book, and the reader was different than the woman who reads the later books. She wasn't nearly as good. I think that is partially why this isn't a 3 instead of a 2.

emjay24's review against another edition

I started reading this series a long time ago, I think back in high school. I've read a couple here and there since then, but always had trouble remembering what letter I was on. And honestly, the whole series started to get cloudy in my mind. So I'm going back a few books and going to make an effort to read the whole series in a closer amount of time. Starting with I. I know I read I before, but it seems not at all familiar. Not much back story on this one, mostly just the mystery at hand, so fine for a stand-alone book. I felt sort of disconnected from the characters. The one thing that struck me the most was, wow this book was written twenty years ago! Never before did I keep noticing Kinsey driving all the way back to the office to make calls instead of just using her cell, or having to get answering machine messages. I'm always thinking, why not just google that...why look things up on microfiche, why have someone describe what something looks like over the phone instead of looking up a picture of it...on and on. LOL I'm silly, I just forgot...I guess to me since I started reading this when i was younger, to me it seems weirder, how much the world has changed so quickly. Anyway, good series, good, not great book, looking forward to reading (and re reading) more in this series, especially ones that delve more into Kinsey's life.

marireadstoomuch's review against another edition

One of the better early in the series — even though I predicted a bit of it. A good amount of wit involved.

rebelbelle13's review against another edition

In this novel, Kinsey is back to her old tricks again. This is a story reminiscent of Grafton's earlier alphabet novels, which is welcome after the last boring installment, H is for Homicide. Kinsey is in a different office, but using the same gumshoe techniques to track down the truth. I find it interesting (though necessary) to keep the story set in the mid 1980's even though this novel was written in the early 90's. It's amazing how much harder PI's had to work back in the day- pounding the pavement, looking through telephone books, and operating without the use of a cell phone or the internet. She's essentially by herself in this one, without the help of any of her cop buddies or other PI's. The title doesn't make much sense, but then the past few haven't- i think it's just a schtick at this point to let you know it's another mystery novel starring Kinsey Millhone. Kinsey does rub me the wrong way sometimes, but I like her methods and how she peels back the story like layers of an onion (or a parfait, cause everybody likes parfait). Well, on to the next one with the hope it will be mostly like this one!