Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn

avaldez1011's review against another edition

Holy shit!

waste_cup's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

daniellenoren's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

soavezefiretto's review against another edition

Yes, everyone is right. This is a really, really good book. It's that thing that I had stopped believing in, the fabled "page-turner": a book you literally cannot put down. Perfectly crafted plot and characters, to the point where the reader doesn't even think "perfectly crafted" but is just absorbed into the story. Very well written, without any of the annoying "look how well I write, how brilliant my metaphors are" that makes me cringe sometimes. The sentences just tell the story, nothing more, nothing less. And a very gripping story it is. If you're interested in the dark recesses of the human psyche (and who isn't), if you want to be surprised, not by bombs, but by the twists of the mind, if you want to feel a cold shiver with absolutely nothing of the supernatural in sight, this book is for you.

The only thing I didn't like was how radical the story was. It gave me an unpleasant sense of distance even when I was most involved in the story, because I kept thinking - yes, people are dark and twisted, and marriages are even more dark and twisted, but people are seldom as smart as this, and very seldom they go to these lengths. If the author had written the same book but without the whole "plot" and instead had focused on the petty skirmishes that go on inside a marriage, unknown to everyone outside, I might have considered it a masterpiece.

duchessmerry's review against another edition

Not nearly as clever as I was expecting. Actually ended up being quite disgusting.

bibliofiendlm's review against another edition

Somewhere between 3 and 4 stars. It was certainly a different, intriguing read. It wasn't what I was expecting that's for sure.

dellixson's review against another edition

While this book had some interesting twists, I was unable to connect to the characters. I found myself bored and skipping pages to the "good" parts. There was character development, but I never felt like the characters were real. I felt like I was reading a book the entire time I had it in my hands. I found myself more vested in the book in the later chapters, but it was too little, too late to receive a higher rating.

boocmarc79's review against another edition

This was a fun read! I'm glad I stopped trying to guess the big shocker pretty early in the book and just enjoyed the ride. The writing is sharp and witty (although maybe a bit too clever for the characters) and the story continued to surprise me. Great stuff

ineke's review against another edition

mysterious medium-paced

bookishnik's review against another edition

I had this book on my list to read for a long time, due to all the buzz around it. It definitely was different from what I expected. All I really knew was a housewife was missing and the husband was the key suspect. This book had a lot of twists and turns including an unreliable narrator which I find so devious on the author parts but pretty effective. The ending was a big disappointment for me and I am hoping for a more satisfying ending in the film version due out later this year.