Twins, by Varian Johnson, Shannon Wright

thatsoneforthebooks's review against another edition

A cute graphic novel about the challenges of adapting to middle school, growing up, and family.

jackelz's review against another edition

Maureen and Francine Carter are twins and best friends. They participate in the same clubs, enjoy the same foods, and are partners on all their school projects. But just before the girls start sixth grade, Francine becomes Fran — a girl who wants to join the chorus, run for class president, and dress in fashionable outfits that set her apart from Maureen. A girl who seems happy to share only two classes with her sister!

This book definitely gave me insight into the twin experience. You feel like you’re expected to be half of someone else, instead of your whole self. Maureen and Francine are fighting to stand out. It’s not just a battle of class President, but also a battle of self-confidence, finding yourself, and growing up.

I loved that the girls would go hang out at the mall, because I felt like that’s all I did when I was younger. I particularly liked how some of the mall situations were brought up and handled. You’ll have to read to know what I’m talking about.

If you’re looking for a realistic middle grade graphic novel, look no further. The art is fabulous and it’s a really great and relevant story!!

vaguereference's review

emotional funny tense medium-paced

flightintime's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

whitthetwit's review against another edition

I loved this graphic novel! Definitely will be popular with elementary and middle school students.

mgleeson's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective fast-paced

This is on the 2022/2023 Texas Bluebonnet reading list and it is a great choice.  It isn't easy to find a book that will appeal to 3rd-6th graders, but I believe for the most part this one will.  Maybe not older, more mature girls or boys, but all in all a great selection.  This is about twin girls entering 6th grade - one wants things to stay how they've always been and the other wants to try to become her own person, not Maureen's twin.  They end up competing against each other in the student council election when they both run for president.  Of course they fight and of course they make up, and come to some compromises and learn a lot about themselves and each other along the way.

fernthepanda's review against another edition

An excellent addition to the world of realistic graphic novels.

caseyjoreads's review

Varian Johnson is such a good storyteller, and a graphic novel to boot! Sign me up!

The classic story of two siblings/friends who are close and suddently one wants to branch out. a.k.a. MESS THINGS UP.

Spoiler
I really appreciate that the parents are trying to do the right thing, but that it's not simple to say what the right thing is. Do you support your kid who's finally gaining their own voice if they're doing it to spite their sister? Do you let one sister know that the other's getting tutoring, if she wants to keep it private? Yup, it's complicated like that.

Illustrator Shannon Wright got me with the store named "Temporarily 22."

And major shoutout to whichever of them crossed out the buddy system plan to match by gender and wrote "duh! gender is a construct" instead. LOVE!

Seems a little odd that only 2 kids ran for president - would Fran have run unopposed if Maureen hadn't entered? OTOH, glad there wasn't a requisite annoying white boy in that role.

And omg the ending is so cute - Fran wins, but is upset her sister lost. Awww!!!!

myliterarylove's review against another edition

So cute!
3.5 Stars

mylibrarybooks's review

Smart, cute and fun! Great for a younger audience, and great for an older one too. I love graphic novels like this!