melcarr's review

informative lighthearted fast-paced

kassie_rankin's review against another edition

informative slow-paced

amatvat's review

hopeful informative lighthearted medium-paced

litabrarian's review

informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

happy_stomach's review

lighthearted fast-paced

The stories of white women getting rich

beckysbookshelf's review

informative inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

maureenquinlan's review

informative inspiring medium-paced

stayshomeandreads's review

It's not really a history of women's exercise as it is a series of essays about the founders of famous women's fitness studios/trends. The chapter about Bonnie Pruden and the chapter about running were stellar to me, but the rest of it was boring, repetitive and focused way too much on rich fitness entrepreneurs rather than the people who actually did their workouts. I understand why people love it, I just found it pretty boring.

abookolive's review

Click here to hear my thoughts on this book over on my Booktube channel, abookolive!

abookolive

kaitlinmcnabb's review

This was, as it says in the title, a very interesting overview of women's impact on physical fitness.

I found myself thinking "what about, what about, what about" during this book, but realized, this book isn't a deep dive per se because it would be entirely impossible. Mapping out the decade-by-decade changes in fitness and links to the culture at the time was done well and logically. Were things missed? Oh probably, but like, it's fine.

I do think some of the conclusions were rushed (most likely they had to be because that's a whole nother book) and that sometimes the racial context for things felt shoe-horned in, again because that's a whole nother book.

What I appreciated most about this book was it's look at fitness (duh), it's attempts to bring forth the truth about cultural figures and times, and it's thoughtful moments about why we move. It made me reconsider how and why I move, and also add a little forgiveness to our baby boomers. They never really stood a chance eh?

I think this book provides a great overview and context for what has happened and will allow interested writers and readers to take it further into the different areas. If you like a researched non-fiction book, this will be fun. I definitely queued up the New Jane Fonda Workout immediately after as well as some yoga.