The Selection, by Kiera Cass

fadedbookmarks's review

3.5⭐

It took me a while to get into this one, but the storyline is cute and basically feels like an Elizabethian aged bachelor? Lol I know that sounds weird, but its good. It reminds me slightly of Reign (tv show), but I liked and..clearly read the rest of the series in quick succession.

yasza's review against another edition

How is that possible that the book has no ending? Or didn't I get it? I have an impression that I've read the shallow retelling of The Hunger Games, without any message or common sense. The main character America is a pathetic (to my liking) and sordid teenager who pretends to be direct and independent. At the same time she doesn't know what or whom she needs and can do nothing but insult the prince. I give it 2 stars not 1 only because of Maxon, he is a nice guy. By the way I found the language to be poor and childish. All in all I think I won't continue reading the series. I guess it is for girls under the age of 10. So I'm too old for this.

xjustfiona's review

dnf at 40%

munderoon's review against another edition

3,5 stars.
This was an absolutely decent and nice, easy read. Didn't expect it to be such a fluent read and most of the time that Bachelor stuff didn't bother me all too much. Things that did bother me were some of the rather naive issues of America. Sometimes she became more girly than she probably thought she was and this "Aspen and me forever and ever" talk was bound to die out (THANK FUCKING GOD)
Speaking of Aspen: I don't trust him, I don't like him, something about him is even more off than my math test results back in school. NEXT PLEASE.
Ah, which leaves us with Maxon on the male side. He's funny, sometimes a bit moody, absolutely protected, but he learns fast. And oh boy do I want to keep that fella around. ♡
I loved the maids, Marlee and May. By far my favourite side characters!
At first I was a bit surprised that the whole series is supposed to be about the Selection, but since the books are so easy and fun to read, I might be okay with it - IF America is getting her shit together on the boy side of life. (I really don't need yet another forced love triangle and ESPECIALLY NOT WITH ASPEN)
Okay so... next book please?

ashsarra's review

• Loveable characters? N/A

zoesbookshelf's review

sgteguard1's review

huge bachelor fan so you know i was all over this. bachelor meets hunger games vibes?? super quick and easy to read, can’t wait to read the rest of the series

jessthebookworm's review

I must say, after reading the reviews on here, I really expected to hate this book.

I did not hate it, not even a little bit. I mean, yes, if you're looking for hard-hitting literature, then this is not for you.

If you are reading just to escape for a few hours with an easy page turner, then this is for you.

I liked the plot line, being a sucker for princess stories, and I daresay that I will be hunting down the other books in the series to read the next time I have a nice relaxing long weekend, where I don't want to think about anything serious or work-related.

meli_readds's review

hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

anabelscorner's review

I think that if I read a book this fast it must mean that I really enjoyed it. & I did! It was just what I expected it to be. AND I also love love love Prince Maxon. <3