A Case of Possession, by K.J. Charles

projectmayhem7's review

This review contains semi-spoilers, so you've been warned.

I think this one was even better than the first. The plot was so much more, the character work was phenomenal, and the action was almost nonstop. KJ Charles doesn't mess around with filler. She's a master of character work, humor, and dialogue, but this also proves she knows her way around a mystery. So good. I think the smut was more subdued here, or maybe I'm just thinking that because the relationship was already established and I was more focused on the mystery this time. Either way, the smut was still 5/5.

I love all the new characters, especially Saint, Leonora, and Esther, but of course my favorites are always going to be Merrick, Stephen, and Crane. This is pretty spoilery, so I'll put it in a tag: Charles creates some great villains. The ones in this book are exactly how I like them, their evil deeds having a somewhat relatable or understandable reason. I also appreciate being introduced to them early enough to form an opinion or bond, if you will, so that when they're revealed to be the baddie, I actually feel something. Either because I know them and I get why they're doing it, or because I know them and I feel betrayed by their actions.
Also, while still in this spoiler tag, I'll say the trigger warnings: murder of a sister, kidnapping/torture, animal attacks.

Very happy with this series so far. And that bonus story at the end of the book! It was like it's own short mystery, such a nice treat. Can't wait to continue!

fablefutures's review

4/4.5 stars - God, I love this series. Really strong mysteries in a well-crafted paranormal universe - and starring two characters I have come to adore. Can't wait for the final book!

gigglewigglesquiggle's review

Characters: 5
Plot: 5
Setting/world building: 4
Atmosphere: 5
——
4,75

cauthons's review

i feel like i should mention that i keep ordering these one by one like A Fool bc my dumb brain is like 'what if we're not a fan?' (hint: we're always a fan)

lemoncat's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

ehmannky's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

The Magpie Lord felt like such a contained story that I wasn't sure what to expect from this sequel. But it's such a fun addition to the story! I like it when a sequel feels like a complete story to itself, and this did. A good, quick read.

steffany's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

feministreadinglist's review

I really enjoyed this continuation of the Charm of Magpies story. Its very sweet how Lucian has caught feelings and the majority of the book that isnt solving the mystery is focused on his internal landscape as he hashes out how he feels and what he needs to do about it.

I also liked how this book fleshed out both Stephen's world of justicars and Lucian's past in China.

toobendy's review

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

steepedinbooks's review

Why I read this book: I enjoyed the first book in this series, The Magpie Lord, so I was happy to revisit this author's work.

What I liked: I enjoyed the mystery, the growth to Lucien and Stephen's relationship, the deeper look into Stephen's work, the introduction of his co-workers. The story was well-written, well-paced, suspenseful, and sexy.

What I didn't like: As fun as this was to read, it did feel a little like a filler book, an "in-between" of a series. I had a little trouble keeping up with the names of some of the characters introduced, but I think that was just me and the fact that I was reading this instead of sleeping last night.

In My Opinion: A Case of Possession was good, sexy fun!