gulrv's review against another edition

zuko is the main character and i have No Complaints

this would get 5 stars just for bubble tea scene tbh LOLLL

rosevakili's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

I had a really fun time reading this book. However I did personally feel that some of the decisions were inconsistent with the characters as they were in the show. For instance I believe that Aang would have never made the promise she does. In the show he almost flat out refuses to end the life of the fire lord despite many people insisting that it is the right thing to do. Therefore I think it is highly unlikely that he would agree to end the life of Zuko even in the hypothetical. Overall I think it was a really well-made comic. The art was fantastic and very reminiscent of the show. The jokes are on point. I had a great time reading and would definitely recommend for people who love the show.

samantha_voss's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

samwescott's review against another edition

You guys? This was really good. If you're missing Airbender (which, let's be real, I always am), go ahead and pick this up. Not only is it a great continuation of the tv show and opportunity to fill in the gaps between Last Airbender and Legend of Korra, but it's also a really thoughtful story about colonialism and loyalty and cultural appropriation, which completely surprised me.

There were a few things that I didn't quite love. Zuko had a really major character struggle that I though developed way too suddenly for something so intense. And I was disappointed with how little Mai and Suki were given to do in the plot. Also, Toph's students were The Most Annoying and I hated every single moment wasted on them.

But percentage-wise? Those complaints are negligible. The characters felt appropriately aged from the TV show and the plot was interesting and felt like a totally realistic concern for a world recovering from war. The blend of topics and struggles with colonialism and culture and how to rebuild were surprisingly nuanced and occasionally very touching.

Plus, there was plenty of silliness with the beloved gang. Highly recommend for the homesick airbender fans.

nairam1173's review against another edition

After I surprised myself by both reading and really liking /The Search/, I sheepishly backed up to read this one. I still enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was as strong as /The Search/. Some of the dialogue felt more forced to me. But I liked how it tackled the fact that wars don't really end neatly--it's always a bit messy, and it's hard to know the right way to tackle the after-war messiness. I also liked some other things that are more spoilery.

Also: Zuko, dear, you try so hard.

mbarclay245's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful lighthearted sad fast-paced

heybubbles's review against another edition

inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

jonesy_city's review against another edition

The love I have of the series knows no bounds. It still has flaws though and I think the same flaws carried over to this comic.

The distinction between men and women for example. In my experience kids don't really care what gender someone is beyond seeing the differences in equipment. Which most of the time they think is wonderful. It was a shame that the creators felt that making certain someone was a he or she was needed. For the plot it didn't matter.

But what I really enjoyed was the art. It's gorgeous. Simple but bold in colours. And with the same kind of humour found in the television series.

One thing I noticed only because of the remarks made by the artists in my copy, they had trouble with certain expressions? And somehow I don't think if you read a lot of manga, you would have that trouble? Or did they avoid that kind of style?

Where I think this book shines is in it's handling of colonialism but also integration. About how cultures clash. And how that clash can be personal, generational or national. As a child of 2 cultures, which I do struggle with at times, it was somehow comforting to see that even though colonialism isn't a good, some good things can come from it. Even if it's 100 years later. But like in real life, not everyone looks at that on the same level.

I never forget that Avatar is intended for children. And they don't shy away from the hard things but it doesn't try to 'tell' children what's the best way. It shows that even though there is peace now, there will be conflict because that's human nature. But trying to find peace is also the human way.

I mean that's how I see it. It's why I scream at my friend's that their children should watch the series! And why I try to get the hardcover. I will want to reread this in the future or translate it for my nieces and nephews. The story is really worth it. BUT YOU HAVE TO SEE THE SERIES FIRST!

... Should I buy a dvd boxset?

kjvelz's review against another edition

Not as tight a story as the following books, but it sets them up so nicely. Still so many questions! On to the next one.

emilyparagraph's review against another edition

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced