The Liar's Knot, by M.A. Carrick

ficklefalconer's review

The Liar’s Knot by M.A. Carrick was a tangling story expertly weaving character motivation with the world-building that affected and molded those characters. With a fleshed-out, deep magic system and politics and intrigue that are simple to remember yet still surprising, the city of Nadezra serves an excellent location for the stories of the con-artist Ren, the crimelord Vargo, and the Vigil-watchman Grey. Though this intrigue did lose me at times, and I found myself not quite understanding what was going on, I believe any diligent reader who decides to pick up this thick adult fantasy book will find that the second book in M.A. Carrick’s Rook & Rose series a pleasant read.

judithisreading's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

annarella's review

The second book in this excellent series: gripping, highly entertaining, and well written.
I loved the world building, the character development, and the excellent storytelling.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine

mchain's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

eggythefirst's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

mandy_bookingchaos1's review

I loved this book so much! Excellent second installment. I love these characters so much!! Secrets, curses, vigilantes, gangs, found family, complex magic…slowburn?? Hello!! I will be eagerly waiting for book 3.

vivi9's review

The found family in this book is absolutely amazing. Also I really enjoyed that this book focused on Vargo so heavily because he was always one of the most interesting characters.

bory's review

Rounding up from 3.5 stars.

This one is, in my opinion, more of a mixed back than the Mask of Mirrors. Like the previous book, the first half of the book is slow while the second - explosive. The characters and the threads the weave them together are great, with special recognition being paid to Vargo and Ren. The story is deep, and layered, and saturated with interesting lore, world build, and magic.

That being said, I do have some issues. The naming conventions, especially for the Vraszanian ones, still make my eyes glaze over and my brain sputter (It's very hard to remember names you have zero idea how to pronounce). I'm also growing irritated with the increasing time spent on romantic relationships of questionable importance. Tess ingesting over the baker boy? Please, no more. Further, it is frustrating that, for a supposedly queer friendly story, the only positive romances portrayed are the heterosexual ones - the Rook and the Rose, Donaia and Scaperto, and even, god help me, Tess and Pavlin. Sibiliat and Guina? Nope. Vargo fucking random dudes? Nope, though here's hoping what we see in the last chapter between him and Iascat is a sign of changes to come in book three.

Overall, though, I enjoy this world, and I enjoy these characters. I'm looking forward to the last book in the trilogy.

cerysroche's review

An amazing sequel that just adds more layers and depth to an already intricate world and characters. There was less of a driving plot for this book (though plenty still happens!) which allowed for further exploring the city, its people, their magic and their cultures. Along with the characters changing dynamics.

Nothing short of mesmerising this is truly an unputdownable series, I can't wait for book 3!

olivia_meret's review

This was one of my most anticipated releases of last year and I got the ARC of this one last year but I only just now read it. The first book in the trilogy was in my top five favorites of last year and I was just so nervous that I wouldn’t like the second one as much so I kept making excuses to put off reading it. I finally picked it up and I was worried for absolutely no reason. It was just as good as the first and will definitely be a top read of the year!
The world is expanded, the plot moves forward, the characters are more loveable. I seriously loved every second. I would recommend the audiobook. I had a hard time with the made up words and the audio really helped with that!