Earthflown by Frances Wren

enviereads's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

max_audet's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

Reading Earthflow felt like a breath of fresh air. The pacing was brisk and I became so involved in knowing what would happen next that I had trouble putting the book down.

The world budling was a labor of love and the science fiction mix with a bit of crime noir setting was incredibly interesting to read. The political machinations were just at the right level without overshadowing the rest of the plot.

The romance was extremely well done: Communicating when things go awry? Genuinely talking about your feelings. So many books fall for the boring trope of miscommunication, it was refreshing to read a story where the couple discuss their issues together.

The book has many beautiful illustrations, and I hope this trend picks up more steam because it made it all the easier to fall into this world.

I am curious about the potential for future books in this universe. While this can act as a standalone, the ending had strong potential for this to be a duology.

thereadinggoose's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

Earthflown by Frances Wren is a really unique story that follows three different protagonists in a dystopian-like world. I found this book to be slower-paced, which I do not usually enjoy, but it worked for this book and I still found myself being entranced in the story. Additionally, the characters are well-written and had great character arcs.

The story is set in a futuristic London, and opens with the attempted murder of Corrina Arden, whose family is one of the richer families in the city. As the book progresses, we meet our three protagonists, who are all somehow involved in this event. Javier is Rina’s brother, Ethan is the doctor that saves her life, and Ollie is a journalist investigating the case. It did take me a bit to get into the storyline and figure out what was going on, but I was never completely confused. Wren does a great job with explaining some of the more fantasy-like components of this book without it being cheesy or too outright.

There is a romance that occurs between Javier and Ethan, and it is so genuine and sweet. Javier is just a big cinnamon roll type character, golden retriever boyfriend. He’s adorable and I love him. Ethan is a bit grumpy, but still an absolute king and I love them together so much. As for Ollie, I hate him. But that isn’t to say that he’s poorly written. I was still really interested when his POV chapters came up and it really did add a lot more context to the story. I found myself loving to hate his investigation and his antics. Even the background characters, such as Rina and Vegas, were really well characterized, despite not having their own POV chapters.

Overall, I would give this book a 4.25/5 stars. There were some slower bits that took me a bit to get through and I feel like the book could have been a bit shorter and still just as good. But I really, really enjoyed the story and would recommend this to anyone who wants a unique, futuristic storyline with great characters that you can fall in love with.

stellyshadows's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful mysterious tense medium-paced

alannelle's review

I cannot express how excited I am for this book to release! I have read the first few chapters from the ARC for this novel and it does not disappoint. I was honestly hooked from the prologue. Earthflown is truly something fresh, interesting, and a page turner if I've ever seen one. The characters, world building, plot, everything, is truly unique and I feel so lucky to have learned about it. Frances Wren is such an incredible writer and I couldn't be more ecstatic for their work to be shared! :)

weminence's review

This story, of what I've read, is massive but beautifully woven and I can't wait for more.