The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller, by John Truby

thebee's review against another edition

A practical and thorough guide to the design constraints of story. My criticisms: framing conflict as the sole driver of story and too many Tootsie examples

megant713's review

informative slow-paced

I will 100% be referencing this guide again as I continue to work on my novel!  John Truby makes a lot of good points here about how to structure your story to shock and amaze your audience.

Looking forward to putting these concepts to work in my own story!

bestack's review

challenging informative slow-paced

emerynmader's review

informative reflective slow-paced

natkimko's review

informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

teelock's review against another edition

Unlike many authors and teachers on the subject, Truby is critical of Syd Field's three-act “Paradigm”, viewing it as a mechanical means of storytelling, and argues that most teachers of screenwriting emphasize the inner transformation of characters but not the moral effect their actions have on others. Instead, Truby crafted his own 22-step outline, which formed the basis of Truby's first book, The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller published in October 2007 by Faber and Faber.

Truby has since spun off his techniques into worldwide Masterclasses.

jenniferworrell's review against another edition

Informative with extensive examples and exercises, but wow it is a bitch to read. It's in serious need of an editor. Many of Truby's instructions don't follow the film examples, it's circuitously organized, and in some places quite long winded. But I can see going back and following along while outlining—and I was formerly all pants. I enjoyed doing the exercises, because they got me thinking in depth about my characters and the story I wanted to write before I got any full scenes down. I wish I'd read this earlier. I'm buying a copy because the e-version is a bit hard to read in some sections (scripts are laid out and the graphics need to be zoomed).

maiselbooks's review against another edition

The writer's bible, effectively. Films to watch before reading: Casablanca, Tootsie, and The Godfather.

londonmabel's review against another edition

I've read lots of books on writing--this one gave me LOTS of new ideas and places to go. Highly recommend.

janapbianchi's review against another edition

Um dos melhores livros sobre escrita que já li. Confesso que a ideia de seguir 22 passos a princípio me soou meio formulaico, mas se justifica quando você entende a origem do método na observação do comportamento humano. Logo no fim do livro, inclusive, Truby diz: "eu queria que você descobrisse o código dramático — o modo com que nós humanos crescemos e mudamos ao longo da vida — em todo o seu esplendor e complexidade". É o tipo de livro que me abriu a cabeça, mostrando coisas em que eu nunca tinha pensado e outras óbvias, mas que ficaram mais concretas na minha cabeça depois da análise do livro. Destaco ainda a abundância de exemplos da literatura e do cinema usados pra explicar os conceitos e também os "exercícios" propostos pra que você desenvolva a sua própria história segundo o método. Muito bom mesmo.