Fruits Basket, Vol. 14, by Natsuki Takaya

lmau's review

If we’re to talk about abusive parental figures, that would be Akito. It’s clear that everyone fears his presence as his authoritative figure means one should know their place. It’s that or Akito will do it for them.

Akito is manipulative, mean, selfish and most of all, possessive. He dislikes change and would use his position to make the Sohma household cower in fear at the sight of him.

Akito seems to know everyone’s strengths and weaknesses, and he uses these to make them think that any ideas come to mind about what could have been is uncalled for.

Rin Sohma’s one of the victims behind this scheme. This also explains the reason behind her aggressive and distant personality, separating Rin from the rest of her relatives. It gets worse for the Horse, as she got nowhere else to go, or even have a support system she can depend on.

Her own family despises Rin’s existence, taking out their frustrations on the daughter, unable to defy Akito’s wishes. Hatsuharu changed all that when they crossed each other’s paths. Their relationship though, is another story.

To say their decision to be together is both valid and can be justified, as their love depends on being ‘saved’ by their partner. I normally wouldn’t consider it as a healthy coping mechanism for Rin, but considering her circumstances, I suppose she’s gone desperate and would cling on to whatever there’s left for her to benefit from.

As for the filler parts of the story, I don’t particularly hate how it’s included, but I find it a bit unnecessary, especially if you happen to be already invested on the main plot itself. I suppose it’s for comedic purposes as the series has gone to its climax.

kailey_luminouslibro's review

Most of this volume is focused on Rin, who is very ill and fighting her urge to confide in Tohru. She's very conflicted, wanting to be friends with Tohru, but also wanting to be independent. She hates admitting that she needs help or comfort from a friend. She thinks it's a weakness to need others, and she's determined to be strong, but it's really just her pride holding her back. I loved finding out about Rin's past with her parents and with Hatsuharu. Their love story is so wonderful and sweet!

One of the members of the student council trashes their classroom, and Yuki tries to figure out what made her do it. He's such a compassionate person, and he's always ready to give people another chance! Yuki gets locked in a closet and has some bad memories resurface from being claustrophobic, but is rescued by an unlikely person.

Favorite scene is when Tohru gets a little fever, and when everyone is worried about her, she says it's because all the space in her head is too full up. Kyo laughs and asks if she has a "thinking fever", and he feels her forehead. So cute!

lilsuccubus's review against another edition

I'm happy Rin has finally opened up to Tohru. Not happy about Yuki revealing that he was seeking a mother figure in Tohru. I preferred their pairing over Tohru and Kyo.

shrustimulgund's review against another edition

emotional funny

serukis's review

This review is for the whole series.

Fruits Basket is one of the first manga series I ever read, so a lot of this is probably nostalgia talking. However, it definitely stood up to a reread for me.

Though the story starts out light-hearted and rather humorous, as the series goes on it definitely gets darker and more involved. It covers a variety of themes such as the healing nature of love, loss, and abuse. The characters change as the story continues, and most have a defined character arc.

Despite the quirky and fantastical nature of the Zodiac curse, which allows for a lot of the early humour in the series, the manga actually turns into something a lot more real. It's an interesting exploration of the nature of family, and the differences between biological and found families.

Natsuki Takaya's art also improves a lot throughout the series. It's really nice to see.

jbayer's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted tense

timofeev's review

OMG I really, really, really want someone to put Akito into his place. They better hurry up before I figure out how to jump realities.

eyelikewhales's review

4/5 stars.

fatalamelia's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted slow-paced