Magic Bites, by Ilona Andrews

benitar03's review against another edition

Review coming soon!

quicunquevult's review against another edition

Full review o'er here.

Yay for H&H!

paperbackstash's review against another edition

“Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty...”

Where it all started years ago....and where I never reviewed it the first time....

It's strange how perceptions can change. I don't know if it was mood thing, but I know that I used to find Kate slightly abrasive when I first read the series, but when I re-read, the issue didn't exist anymore. This time I dug her sarcastic wit, she didn't come across quite as cold and unapproachable. It was fun to relive her sarcastic quips aimed at Curran. The introduction of every main character rocked - that intro with the beast lord, what could be better? Besides the restaurant scene where they clash with their dates, of course! And that roar... Ghastek with his dry humor while he cared only about himself was even a treat.

The story isn't as gripping as later installments, but it still offered up a good one. There was mystery to be had, fights to be fought, and secrets to keep covered. People seem to dig the magical world Andrews created - it makes "UF lists" - but while I enjoy the twists on the vamps and respect the shapeshifter structure and how they blend in one large pack, no matter the breed, I always disliked that magic comes and goes. I can't put my finger on why it always bugged me. Perhaps it's because I like my magical characters to stay that way, not lose abilities depending on the time of day.

Ilona Andrews has a natural, easy-to-follow writing style that simply grips the reader. The pacing wasn't druggy fast but it worked and I never found a dull moment besides the first few chapters. I do have to say Curran is a loved character, but he irritated me some in the first book, first by accusing her of being a gloryhound, and second for becoming irrationally angry and blaming Kate when they fingered the wrong guy for the crime.

Oh, and I still hate Jim this re-read as much as I did the first read. Otherwise enjoy and hop on board this epic UF series if you haven't already.

paperbackstash's review against another edition

Really loved this one, a short read but captivating, wanting to read more but sadly I don't have book two yet of the series. Kate is a bit of a familiar character but still fun, love the chemistry with Curran, the story is unique enough to want to read and not a rehash of things in other urban fantasy stories, and the writing style sucks you in.

jessicareadsit's review against another edition

If you need a new binge series then look no further. Kate Daniels has an intricately sinister but sweet plot with a kick ass female who harbors some pretty dark secrets. Set in the bustling city of Atlanta as it faces magical power surges, Kate tries to find the truth behind her Guardians death with some help from some friends in high places.

viasavona's review against another edition

So, I stumbled upon Ilona Andrews much later than most people. The first book of theirs I read was Burn for Me. I tore through the entire series, including what we have so far of Catalina's spinoff. I love that series with all of my heart and I was experiencing some serious book grief. I dreaded starting the Kate Daniels series because even though I would say it has even better reviews than the Hidden Legacy Series, I just wasn't convinced anything could top it. But I made myself start it, because I knew it would cure my HL grief.

I will say this: Kate Daniels does not top HL for me but I love it just as much. Even though it took me a while to get through the beginning of the book (same with Burn for Me, though) and it was a little more gorey than I prefer, I really loved this book. There's not much to say about how brilliant it is that hasn't already been said, so all I'm going to leave here is that if you're hesitating on this book, go ahead and read it. Trust me!

scubacat's review against another edition

I heard a lot of good buzz about this author and series, and although the book was good, I didn't really get what all the fuss was about. The story is okay - Kate is likeable. I got confused with some of the characters, and had to go back in order to figure out who was the bad guy in the beginning. I also thought some of the plot points were obvious and predictable. On the other hand, I really liked some of the characters and I liked the rules of the world, with magic rising and tech falling. That was a new and original take on magic that I hadn't heard of before. I have heard book 2 is even better, so I will put it on my to read list.

hopeykat's review against another edition

Took too long to get interesting, but once it did, I couldn't put it down.

fairymodmother's review against another edition

I changed my mind and downgraded this from three stars. It was just okay for me. I'm told they get much more interesting but this one was work. However, I did find some things I really liked, and in deference to how iconic this book is in the genre, I'll focus on the things I learned.

Loved:
-Really cool world. Magic and tech waves, a recognizable yet foreign Atlanta. Super cool.
-I liked all the different monsters and most of their characterizations. I'd like to learn more about People and really liked how vampires worked here. I also enjoyed the array of Pack.
-There was a positive relationship between two women!!
-Casual mention of people of color with no strong stereotyping or food names
-Good modern language

Learned:
-Infodumps don't work any better in fantasy
-Segues are everything
-Reminders are good when you have lots of characters or scenes
-Suspense requires understanding the emotional importance of a moment and what it means for people we care about
-I am interested in reading a story about "alphas" that don't use physical or sexual dominance for their status
-It is upsetting when the strong woman is treated like an object without her being part of that plan in the first place
-Rape should be used very carefully in stories
-Wrap-up endings aren't my favorite

carissa0906's review against another edition

3.5/5 stars. This book dragged for me a while but eventually picked up enough to continue reading the next books in the series.