Lakesedge, by Lyndall Clipstone

brookishbrunette's review against another edition

Many, many thanks to Fierce Reads for sending me a digital ARC of Lakesedge as part of their Yallwest F21 Preview Sweepstakes!

Simply put, reading Lakesedge by Lyndall Clipstone was like living in a dream (one I’m not ready to wake up from). This book is absolutely perfect for fans of Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones and Uprooted by Naomi Novik!

Through her gorgeous writing, Clipstone truly transported me into this gothic tale and made Lakesedge come alive. I cannot wait to see what’s in store with the upcoming sequel, Forestfall!

helloitscristina's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

xoloveyg's review

~ 3.5 stars ~

Lakesedge is an alluring gothic romance that drew me in with its hints of haunted estates and old secret gardens. As a lover of all things gothic, Lakesedge initially seemed like a promising read. honestly , I'm a little suprised of the overall arc of this book, i actually kept my exception low but this books one how was better than what i thought.

The book is full of compelling characters. Violeta is driven by her love of her brother and her guilt over the past. She is single-minded in her determination to protect those she loves, a number which expands as she remains at Lakesedge .Violeta bugged me a little bit because she falls prey to something I do not like encountering in books. She thinks she has to take on all the burdens of everyone and doesn’t see fit to let anyone else into her plans. Even when she tries to, she only does so half heartedly. This is a pet peeve of mine.

we have Rowan who is haunted by his decisions and driven by his guilt and penance for the things he cannot change. typical " dark boy who can kill everyone, but is actually cursed and cinnamon roll inside", and i usually fall for.

not gonna lie, My main issue with most fantasy romances is that there’s not enough fantasy. Most of them have serious consent issues and I am not here for it. With Lakesedge, there’s not enough worldbuilding or lore. The stakes aren’t high enough. Lakesedge started off well, it was creepy and had spooky vibes. However, the more I read the more the descriptions became repetitive.

this is an An enemies-to-friends-to-lovers romance, where i did get a good amount of romance but the thing that i don't appreciate is that The two leads are supposed to hate each other, but by the second page, they’re already kissing. so in general, even if i liked the romance, its still unbelievable for me.

I’m also kinda intrigued by Lord Under, who is both frightening and seductive. I’m not sure how I feel about him. Do I hate him? Do I trust him? I still don’t know, and the way the story ended made me curious to find out more about this enigmatic character. and overall, i want to see how the sequel brings more and i think this book was good.

nour_jay's review against another edition

Nothing wrong with this. It just didn't do anything for me and the characters irritated me most of the time.

alienshrimp's review

I feel very frustrated by this book. As a Gothic Ho ™, I was very excited for this. Unfortunately it did not live up to my hopes.

I take issue with this story being described as gothic, because even though it uses elements commonly associated with the gothic, they are not applied in the same way here and instead function as a sort of shallow set dressing.

There was also a major issue of telling and not showing throughout the book. I felt like we were told a lot of things, especially about Leta, but then not really shown proof. Like we're constantly told how Rowan is a monster, but it's very clear early on that he isn't and yet Leta won't stop harping on it. I did like Rowan however.

Leta also suffers from major self-sacrifice martyr syndrome that makes her almost unbearable. For someone who we are constantly told is so selfless, she makes a lot of selfish decisions without any forethought whatsoever. She never thinks anything through. Also for a story written in first person, it was strange that halfway through the book Leta internally discloses something major to the reader that she acted like she didn't know about this whole time when she did. Super frustrating.

The LGBTQ rep was also really odd. There would be these random brief mentions of some of the secondary character's sexualities, but then it was never brought up again and these characters were never allowed to be anything other than flat background characters that exist to coddle the main character. If you're going to give us representation, that give us actual representation - this was borderline insulting with its low effort.

I liked the romance a lot. So there's that. But I love a literal devil, so I also want something to happen with the Lord Under despite hating love triangles. I probably need therapy lmao.

I had a few other things to say, but now can no longer remember them. Will update if I do.

edit: lots of use of pet phrases throughout that drove me a bit insane.
what does silt taste like? I am curious but absolutely unwilling to find out first hand

adalana's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

kris386's review

dark mysterious slow-paced

hattubel's review

"For love is as strong as death."

the first half... no words... 2 stars
second half, very good, the Lord Under carried the book... 4 stars

gabcoello's review

Could be easily a 3.5 stars for me. Really invested at the beginning, but kind of lost me at the last 10 chapters.

dtlopez2's review

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced