Love Is for Losers, by Wibke Brueggemann

mirteyeah's review against another edition

That coming out scene was terrible but the rest of the book was fantastic.

ellamaemaeella's review against another edition

Wibke Brueggemann excels in the teenage voice here.
Welcome to a snippet of Phoebe's life, where her days are filled with school drama, un-necessary and gross relationships of friends (god what a flashback!), teenage irritations, designer cats... and the way love doesn't come in a one size fits all ticked box.
This book however, ticks all the boxes! A fresh, lovely little story about a girl who isn't your perfect storybook character, has moments of utter contempt for the way of the world and that god-all honesty that you get from being that age. Coping with GCSEs is a terrifying place... and so is the unknown we call love... Phoebe is human. And my god, I want to throw this book into the face of all the 14/15 year olds I know and I plan to!
Angus Thongs and Perfect Snogging but epic LGBTQ+ edition! To be honest... the upgrade of ATPS majorly- I always found ATPS too overattentive when it came to the embarrassment and absolute mortification of being a young, english teen- Cringey 100%- Phoebe is the realistic and not shove your head under the pillowcase until you've died from second hand embarrassment-esque version that just makes your heart soar as you read and you go "yes exactly! exactly that! That's what I feel/ felt too".
I'm a huge reader when it comes to YA, I adore it... But something about recent publications has largely turned me off when it comes to realistic YA set in the modern world... And a large part of that? Has been the authenticity that has been missing... until this book.
Love is for losers is the book I have been missing. We ALL have been missing.
Wibke... I cannot wait to see what rocket of pure gold you send our way next.

lucyptgw's review

The main character was insufferably ‘not like other girls’ but the romance was cute af <3

susannelucyluisa's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

pumpkinspicebooks's review

absolutely did not think i was going to give this book 5 stars when i started, but yet here i am. i read the dutch translation, and you could maybe say that my brand is hating dutch translations, but this was great.

i LOVED phoebe. she reminded me so much of myself when i was 15. especially her hate for people and the confusion of how dumb people can be sometimes. sometimes i had a feeling she could be on the autistic spectrum, but i don’t want to label anything. i say this because i saw so much of my own behaviour in her, it was just something i noticed.

and the romance

_abigailconnelly's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

bellapot06's review

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

flingornas_herre's review against another edition

Kul men ingen fyra pga kommer inte minnas den om tre månader

zil's review

fast-paced

amiefiremoon's review

"Fair enough, Shakepeare was popular and wrote a lot of plays, but Romeo and Juilet is actually a bit shit, isn't it? It's basically teenagers throwing a major tantrum."

Love is for Losers by Wibke Brueggemann is a wry, witty, sensitive coming of age story. Fifteen year old Phoebe finds herself without a touchstone when her mom (once again) leaves her to help refugees for Medecins Internationale and her best friend, Polly, is solely focused on her new boyfriend. Fortunately, her mom's best friend, Kate, is always there to help guide her through the ups and downs of teen life and be her surrogate family. When Phoebe finds herself unexpectedly developing her first crush, she does everything in her power to fall out of love, but can she succeed before it's too late?

I loved everything about this book! I found the characters to be endearingly flawed and absolutely wanted the best outcome for Phoebe. The pacing was quick and I thought the diary entry style really allowed me to connect with Phoebe's mindset. This is a sweet story that channels all the angst and irritation of first love and redefines what it means to receive unconditional love.

Advanced readers' copy provided courtesy of the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Available 2021.