Bet Me, by Jennifer Crusie

ubemedusa's review against another edition

Kind of loved the crap out of this book. There's nothing I love more than witty banter and dialogue. Loved Cal and Min and Elvis the cat. Wasn't so enthused about the David and Cynthie storyline, but they served their purpose. And now I want to eat chicken alfredo like, a whole lot.

smudgebundle's review against another edition

A boring, meandering story of stupid people doing things over and over for almost 400 pages. I am so disappointed, as the premise and SOME of the descriptive context I liked a lot, but the execution was so tedious that I felt annoyed almost constantly.

The main characters are bizarrely infatuated with food, but not different food - chicken Marsala and donuts only. And they sexualize it in a way that I think was supposed to be fun and by halfway through the book seems to be just thrown in on every other page as mandatory, as if these people are required to talk about chicken Marsala as if it was a personality trait.

It feels like the author got bored with her own ideas before she even finished. For example, the cover of the book has a pair of sexy shoes. In the book, Cal loves Min’s shoes which are fun and unique, and he buys her a pair. There’s a bunch of discussion about it and then it just stops. By 3/4 of the way through the book, shoes are never mentioned again except In passing. They are not a part of the plot in almost any way, and when it is it’s cliche.

I also hate the writing. Several times I had to stop and reread a passage because there were 5 people talking all at once and the narration describes this so poorly that I couldn’t tell who was saying what to whom.

And finally, one poorly written sex scene thrown in at page 375 of 390 pages because they teased it so much that it was required but completely not worth the extra page of text it required.

ijeamaka_anyene's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

melodicfate's review against another edition

3.5 stars.

I'm having a phase lately, where I want to read about heroines who aren't thin and who actually look like real-life people. I heard that this book was a cute chick lit story, so I figured I'd give it a try. I'm glad I did, because some things about this book were great. Others, I didn't really like.

The good parts were Min and Cal. They were amazing, fully-developed characters. I loved Min because she was down-to-earth, rational, and would do anything to protect her friends and family. She had issues with body confidence, which is great because that's such a real thing. I definitely felt like she could exist in real life. The same could be said for Cal, too. Sure, he was the typical good-looking hero, but he was also dyslexic. Plus, he had triggers having to do with being called stupid, and it just gave his character some much-needed vulnerability. Of course, he did have some fantastic qualities such as loyalty, kindness, and he really cared about people in general. The two together just made a really nice couple.

As for the side characters, I really liked Cal and Min's group of friends. I mean, it started out with Liza and Bonnie being Min's friends and Tony and Roger being Cal's friends. But of course, they all banded together to form one group pretty quickly, and I loved how much they really looked out for each other. Then, there was Min's sister Diana. I'd say she was the least-developed character in the story, but I did like how she stood up for Min against their mother, whom I hated. As a matter of fact, I hated both Min and Cal's mothers since they really treated their children badly. Min's mother went on about Min's weight, and Cal's mother and father both kept complaining about how he didn't go into the family business. Finally, there were the exes, Cynthie and David. They were just really annoying. They did anything they could think of to break Min and Cal up, and I really didn't like reading from their point of view.

The plot of the book was interesting. David dumped Min because she refused to sleep with him, so he bet Cal(or tried to bet Cal)ten thousand dollars to get Min into bed. Cal, who had just broken up with Cynthie because she wanted marriage and he didn't, did everything he could to get out of the bet, and he was sure that David accepted that. But then, there was a previous bet made for ten dollars for Cal to get Min to go out to dinner with him, and Min knew about both of them. It was a pretty intricate story, since we followed almost everyone's point of view at one point in the book. I loved the Min/Cal relationship though, as well as the support they each got from their friends. I also loved the part where Cal really convinces Min that she's not fat, and how she began to accept that. I didn't like all the plotting that David and Cynthie did to break up Min and Cal, though, and I also couldn't stand switching point of view so much.

In the end, I liked this book. It wasn't a favorite, but it did make me hungry with all the mentioning of chicken and doughnuts. It had a very healthy romance and friendship, which I enjoyed greatly. Plus, there were some laugh-out-loud moments. In the end, I would recommend this. I didn't love it, but it wasn't bad. It kept me interested, and I'm glad I took the time to read it.

raginilk's review against another edition

The 'Happily ever after', it never gets old, does it?

The book made me scrunch up my nose at how many times I read 'chicken marsala', 'he said'. The writing style was good.

The book made me laugh a lot. it's cliched and sometimes that's what you are looking for. It's impossible to go through the book and not laugh. Also, it had a heroine who actually didn't had skinny legs!

I loved cal. Poor guy really should make that T-shirt "I DID NOT MAKE THAT BET".

and man if I didn't laughed when he proposed her in chapter sixteen.

The book has flaws, yes. But for a seventeen chapter book it's good. Because sometimes you just want to push reality out of the window and just go drown in a happily ever after.

I liked the characters, I liked Emilio and I would love to have a doughnut soon.

kellym_16829's review against another edition

funny

another_bookworm's review against another edition

For crying out loud, I love this.
Min & Cal is one of my favorites.
All the side characters are also so good.

mkbby's review against another edition

One of the best books ever!!!!

joanne_is_from_canada's review against another edition

Min doesn't think much of her physical appearance, while Cal is very confident and a "10". So when she hears her ex (who just broke up with her at that same gathering) bet Cal that he can't get Min into bed she decides that she will go out with him, not sleep with him, and use him as a date for her sisters upcoming wedding to get back at him for betting on her. Of course with time the attraction grows, feelings develop and are hurt, and the truth comes out about the bet.

Dislikes:
- The food descriptions actually turned me off, which is pretty unusual for me. The main character ate chicken marsala a good half-dozen times at least in the month the book took place. She probably ate it even more than that, because there was not a single meal that we witnessed that was anything else, that I can remember. Also I get that doughnuts are delicious, but eating more than one sounds way too sweet for me. One of the characters is described as eating three in a row. Just thinking about that made me nauseated, lol.

Likes:
- I loved Min's relationship with her sister, and her two best friends. They were loyal and had her back, despite not always agreeing on everything.
- Cal's nephew was very cute and I liked how he latched on the Min right away.
- As the book progressed, Min stopped letting her mother push her around as much.

delaneybull's review against another edition

Oh my god, so good. 10/10 Cal and Min are the greatest. So cute, great plot, side characters are great and the cat wasn't overdone! I love it. Although really, who can eat that much chicken marsala in a month.