Reviews tagging Fatphobia

Bet Me, by Jennifer Crusie

chels_ebooks's review against another edition

funny lighthearted
I very rarely read contemporary romance and I picked this up on kind of a whim because I've heard wonderful things about Jennifer Crusie.

The only way I can really talk about this book and be honest about it is to compare it to Bridget Jones's Diary (the movie! I haven't read the book). There's a lot of easy comparisons: extremely fun dialogue, a full-throttled embrace of early aughts culture that feels both comfortable and repulsive at the same time, an extremely charming heroine you can't help but root for, and most notably the weight thing.

Minerva Dobbs is a fat character in a book that is body positive for 2004 standards, which, if you lived through the time you will know that's not saying much. Min's mother is a familiar type: a body-obsessed gargoyle who thinks a person's value corresponds with their size, and she deliberately orders Min a bridesmaid dress that is too small in order to try to force her to lose weight.

So when we (and her love interest, Cal), meet Min, despite her reluctance to go along with her mom's plan, we are bombarded with genuinely witty observations that are speckled with diet talk. It felt a bit like Minesweeper: you're cruising and then suddenly BOOM, someone says something about carbs.

I mention this because it's honestly the only reason why I wouldn't blanket recommend this book. This isn't a story where Min slims down to find her bliss, but I often hate reliving the time where 'Can I eat this donut' was a major consideration, and I know I'm not the only one.

And yet I could not stop reading. I was mostly delighted by the story, and the quippy contemporary dialogue didn't give me secondhand embarrassment, as is often the case. This is a slow burn, but Crusie is a master at building feelings and making the smallest interactions hot.

s_reads_s's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

auti_hippo's review against another edition

funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced