Bloedzusters, by Jackson Pearce

lizzieh96's review against another edition

Pretty good. I liked the basic premise and the story was well written. I predicted one of the major plot twists at the end, so that was kind of a bummer. It also just felt kind of shallow. I, however, didn't find it as enraging and controversial as some did. It just wasn't quite my cup of tea.
Overall, it was pretty good and I'll definitely check out the others, but it wasn't my favorite.

bibliofiendlm's review against another edition

3/5 stars.

dame_samara's review against another edition

DNF 30%
Was I excited about a book about the werewolf fighting sisters? Yes. Along with the search for where you really belong and the effects of childhood trauma? Quite a Bit

But honestly, as I listened to it I continued to find myself uninterested in the lives of these people.

neenor's review against another edition

I absolutely fell in love with this book. It's basically a modern twist on the fairytale story of Little Red Ridinghood, where the grandmother dies and the little girl, Scarlett, is determined to get revenge on the man - the wolf - that did this. And I found it utterly entrapping - at times, I just couldn't put it down. I loved the way that the woodsey fairytale world coincided with the real world, and it felt like you were in both places at once. Although I don't have a sister, I do know what the sibling bond is like, and the connection between Scarlett and Rosie was so real, so strong that it practically gripped hold of me, and I found myself hurting at times when the sisters fought or got into an argument with each other. The emotions playing in each of the characters throughout the whole novel was just so raw and real, and I found myself being able to relate to both the girls - yes, Rosie should be able to do what she likes and be allowed to be a non-committed normal teenage girl - but then again, not enough people know about stuff and do something about it, and at the end of the day, the hunting does bond the girls together in an utterly unique way. It was just...brilliant. I literally cannot give it enough praise. The only thing I would have improved was how obvious some of the twists were - I knew who the Potential was right from when the readers met him, and I just felt...deflated a bit - it was anti-climatic, in a way. However - Pearce is a great author, and I want to eventually get around to reading her d├ębut novel, which I have heard is amazing. I really recommend this book because it is a great twist on the famous fairytale and really makes you think about sibling bonds and relationships.

lazygal's review against another edition

Are werewolves going to be the next vampire? Somehow I doubt it, simply because vampires are somewhat inherently sexier than werewolves... but that's not stopping the publishers from trying!

Sisters Red is the tale of two sisters, Scarlett and Rosie, who hunt. There's also Silas, the boy-next-door, who happens to be the son of a woodsman and who helps them in their hunts. They throw knives and axes, train like mini-Buffy's, and hunt Fenris (aka werewolves). Yes, there's also a grandmother (who dies early on).

There's an increase in Fenris activity in their small town because apparently there's a Potential out there - a man (or boy) who is just on the verge of being a wolf, he just needs to be bitten. The three decide to move to Atlanta to take on the Alphas and as many Fenris as possible. The problem is, Silas and Rosie would also like to have a life, while for Scarlett, this is her life (of course, it may help that Scarlett bears the scars of the attack that killed their grandmother).

I'm not sure why this is going to be a series, but I've stopped trying to figure out why publishers (or authors) are insisting that every new idea be carried out to three or four books. This is a good story and doesn't need any follow-up.

ARC provided by publisher.

lopez880's review against another edition

nice but wished the love part was diffrent

sietskex's review

3.5 stars

kdf_333's review against another edition

ok so in the prologue that tells the tale of their grandma's death by a wolf, it immediately made me think child sexual predator. it also used some of the red riding hood lines like" what big teeth you have." etc. in the book a man loses his soul when he gets bitten and turns into a wolf. so they are not werewolves exactly. they devour a girl when they eat her. only one piece of her is ever left- an arm, or a leg, or less. so it's a man that turns into a wolf that eats pretty young teenage girls,i kept thinking this is really talking about a child sexual predator. nothing in the book made me think werewolves. the terminology she used and the description of how charming and cute the men were to lure their prey and how pretty and naive the bait/girls were i just kept thinking this is a warning . this is really describing pedophiles.

also the book has lots of fight scenes (love kick ass chicks!) and a lil romance (but no love triangle!!!). i enjoyed it. i tend to enjoy fairy tale retellings anyway but this was completely different. i don't remember when or why i put it on my TBR list but i am glad i did.

the_lilrunaway's review against another edition

I really enjoyed reading this one and I can't wait to read Sweetly now.
I managed to guess the ending pretty early on which is why I have only given it 4 stars and not 5. That was the only downside for me.

the_lilrunaway's review against another edition