Reviews tagging Death of parent

All Your Perfects, by Colleen Hoover

abitofapoet's review against another edition

sad slow-paced

This book was incredibly emotional. Please read trigger warnings before reading this because it does touch on some really hard topics, but it does so REALLY well in my opinion.

Something that I loved about this book, as much as it broke my heart, is how unique it is. So often a romance novel ends at “I Do.” but that’s not reality. That should be the beginning. Seeing these characters navigate their broken marriage is heart wrenching and hopeful at the same time. You’ll find yourself crying for Quinn and for Graham on one page, and wanting to scream at them on the next. Even the most perfect matches have their category 5 moments.

I found I related to Quinn a lot. More than i’ve ever related to the struggles of a book character before, which is surprising because where Quinn so desperately wants to be a mother, that is my absolute nightmare. But the strain that Quinn’s infertility puts on herself and on her relationship is akin to the strain i’ve felt in my own marriage because of a medical condition. The feelings of not being woman enough for her husband, of constantly letting him down, of their marriage being the thing that ruined his future, and of feeling the need to pull away from him and place this distance between them because of those thoughts. I found myself staring at the pages in disbelief that someone had actually put into words the thoughts that i’ve had in some of my darkest moments. And watching Graham desperately love the ghost of her, wishing he knew how to get her back broke me into pieces.

One emotional quote that really stuck with me:
Spoiler “My Husband’s heart is my saving grace, but his physical touch has become my enemy.”

If you’re looking for a sappy romance, i wouldn’t recommend this to you. If you’re looking for something real and beautiful and heartbreaking, absolutely pick this up.

snuggledwithink's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

a_libra_library's review

dark emotional sad tense fast-paced

Boyfriend Graham is wonderful, amazing, a solid book boyfriend
Husband Graham  awful, horrible, immature and not a great husband.
I guess that fits with showing how couples grow and change over time and how it isn't always for the best. This does not have a HEA and everyone should check the triggers going into this book.

iiamyx's review

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective sad tense fast-paced

izzyf16's review

redheadreads_'s review

dark emotional funny reflective sad fast-paced

mikaylabooks's review

challenging dark emotional informative inspiring reflective relaxing fast-paced

Okay wow. One I just want to say Colleen Hoover is a literary genius/god and I’m upset it took me so long to realize it. I’ve never felt this much pain in my life. When I say this I felt authentic physical pain reading this I wish I could say I am exaggerating. This book had me drawn from page 1 with Quinn and Graham meeting in such a ironic interesting way. The way Colleen Hoover writes I felt every one of Quinn’s cries Grahams pleas and all of their guilt in my chest. Colleen Hoover broke me all the way down and put every piece back with her happy ending. I loved this book so much and I’m so glad I ended my year out with such an amazing read.

giannaroberts's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced