同名人, by Jhumpa Lahiri

riya_moorthy's review against another edition

This is the book that. got me back into reading. It truly captivated the feelings that I felt being a child of two immigrants from India. I related a lot to the characters and the struggles they faced with embracing their parent's culture and creating their own path.

eberico's review against another edition

I read The Namesake after seeing the movie, and I can genuinely say that I enjoyed both equally, which was a great deal. Both were at times joyous and heart-wrenching, and I highly recommend them.

ashbcgc's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

seleneluna's review against another edition

read this for asian american lit lol...highly highly recommend to anyone who is interested in asian american literature, indian american literature, etc.

abbeyjfox's review against another edition

beautifully written. want to go to india.

dusang's review against another edition

I can't even explain how human and relatable this book is. It's beautiful and uplifting and heart-breaking all at once.

maddieclair's review against another edition

strangetimes87's review against another edition

Moushumi and Ashima (and Ashoke, in his moments) make this book what it is. Otherwise, I really didn't enjoy the trite plotline of an Indian-American being confused about his identity.

nemastha's review against another edition

dark funny informative relaxing medium-paced

This book was pretty good (I liked the pace at the beginning). As a child of an immigrant, I could relate to ALOT, But I think after a while, the pace of the book was a bit iffy? It was also kind of generic in terms on plot (I've watched/read things similar to this, so it wasn't something ENTIRELY different). I really liked the ending tho, I liked that in a way < that gogol did not really have the typical happy ending, but more so in the sense that he was starting to embrace WHO he was, and started to FINALLY go on this journey of learning more about himself by starting to READ the books made by Gogol, thought that part was beautiful!> I also kinda liked the motif of the name and its development throughout the book. Gogol is what SAVES his father, however in that way, Gogol is also a means to be accepted within his family. However by going into school, into this predominately white community, Gogol no longer wants to be accepted by his family but by the people around him (this development of Gogol being something Gogol himself hates- this internalized hatred). The name of Nikhil is interesting, as it allows Gogol to leave through the lens of someone else, and in that way shows the sacrifice of identity to be accepted).

I also thought the arc with  Moushumi also interesting- this idea that she escaped to the french language to escape the suffocation standards of English and Bengali. Her character was complex, as it was stock in someway... Her relationship with Gogol didn't last because of their different interests.

vistacanas's review against another edition

Even though not much happens in this book, I surprisingly liked it quite a bit. The characters are endearing and because I'm involved with current refugees, it gave me great insight into the kinds of dilemmas that they face when coming to a different country.