Luck of the Titanic, by Stacey Lee

bjnyhus's review

So. Good.

carleydeiss09's review against another edition

It’s an easy read, I flew through it, but I think it’s because there wasn’t much for plot outside of character struggles, and even those lacked personal depth. The racism and prejudice the Chinese characters felt true and authentic but the characters themselves were flat, which only enhanced the shallow feel of this book. It’s Titanic, there’s only so much you can do without being completely historically inaccurate.

I think this book would be lovely for a middle school or advanced 5th grader who was in the peak of their Titantic phase.

ncolove's review

Beginning of this book: ⭐️⭐️
Ending of this book: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Overall rating for this book: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I’m not going to lie. When I first started this book I had to clue what it was about and I really wasn’t enjoying it. I actually didn’t enjoy it until about the last 100-160 pages. I found the beginning half to be boring, and not much going on. Then everything changed once that pivotal scene, you know the one like in the movie The Titanic…. Yeah the part that makes you bawl like a baby?? Whelp… that’s exactly what the last part of this book did to me… I cried - A LOT.

Now if anyone were to ask me if they should read this book, I would tell them yes and no. Be prepared to kind of force your way through the beginning to really get to the good part. But once you reach it, it’s all worth it.

juju8j's review

challenging emotional sad medium-paced

hotgirlramona's review

why did i think it would turn out differently than the actual Titanic lol very sad

drwatsonjd's review

I wanted to love it. Maybe my expectations were too high. The writing was OK. You never know what kind of writing you'll get with YA books. This one was pretty rudimentary. I liked the fact that there was a Chinese perspective, but I found myself wanting more of it. As an adult I'd give it a 3. If I was a preteen, I'd probably give it a 3.5 or 4.

cmooreediting's review

twiinklex's review

✨ "A big boat like the Titanic? You'd think everything would get out of her way."

There's so much I love about this book: The diverse cast and representation, the themes of racism and sexism, the spunky protagonist, the atmospheric setting and more.

Don't expect some action-packed or glamourous story about the Titanic. The ill-fated voyage is only a very small aspect of this character-driven story that explores themes of love, friendship, social divide and poverty. Romance is not a huge plotline either but I thought it was perfect and well done.

I loved Valora's personal arc; her growth is evident in the choices she makes as the story progresses. She's definitely not afraid to speak out. Just look at how she tells off this one guy who tried to protest Valora giving up her spot in a lifeboat to a mother and child:

The paunchy man lifts his hands. That's two more people!"

Something pops in my chest, and this time, my boiler explodes. Why should he get a place while dutiful men, like this young officer and my stalwart Jamie, stay behind? "Sir, you've got a beer baby on your lap that's twice the size of the one she's holding, so shut your piehole!"

This was such a wonderful and illuminating read that broke my heart. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who appreciates slow burns and character-driven stories.

kasiakeen's review

adventurous medium-paced

jburgener2's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring tense medium-paced