The A.I. Who Loved Me, by Alyssa Cole

cat_brewsandreviews's review against another edition

This was cute, quirky and had a fun little twist!

sharnett's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

carolibrary's review against another edition

This romance novella is set in a technologically advanced near future and features a sci-fi spin on the boy-next-door romance trope. I thought this would be a light and quirky love story, but the society was actually surprisingly dark and twisty below the surface, and the story built up to an unexpected, action-packed ending. This was an entertaining, quick listen with a star-studded cast, but it was a bit confusing. I appreciate the way Alyssa Cole bends genres, but this didn’t quite work for me like I thought it would.

Blog | Instagram

sherrise's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

magnoleia's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

beyreads's review against another edition

You’re you. And if you aren’t ready to be you yet, then you can be mine. I’ll keep you safe until then.

Living in a world where everything is automated because wherever we turn, a robot is ready to help? Dream, but can also be a nightmare I guess?

A humanoid designed to be very similar to human and able to fall in love? Very interesting indeed. It is also pretty well executed. I was immersed in the plot and the story—with the twist.

But sadly, though it is a short novella with only 130 pages, I had a hard time finishing it. This is my second book from her and I also had the same difficulty with the former. Mayhaps Alyssa Cole’s writing is just not for me, no matter how—I have to admit—good it is.

asocialcris's review against another edition

I don’t know quite what I expected when I downloaded this. A simple romcom, maybe, based on the cover and synopsis. What I got was a fully immersive and intelligent storytelling experience which was wonderfully written, and narrated by a group of talented actors. I loved the concept, loved the thoughtful world, loved the sweet romance. And I’m so excited that this’ll be a series!

mshitama's review against another edition

I wasn’t interested in this one until I realized it was written by Alyssa Cole, and then I knew it would be good. I’m so glad I gave it a try! It was a fun take on several romance tropes, and the plot unfolded in a way that was compelling and full of surprises.

Also loved the diversity of the characters and voice cast, and the interesting angle on consent through the lens of a human/AI relationship.

shantheman's review against another edition

This was a lot of fun! The first two-thirds were a little slow, for such a short book especially (I read rather than listened). But the last bit was exciting and unexpected and finally endeared me to the characters. I would absolutely read a sequel or better yet, prequel; there's a lot of juice left to be squeezed out of the world Cole built.

bookbruin's review against another edition

Audiobook Review

Overall 4 stars
Performance 5 stars
Story 3.5-4 stars

This was a really fun and interesting listen! Alyssa Cole is a new to me author, but I really enjoyed her writing style. I went in blind and found it quite entertaining. The AI Who Loved Me was a bit different than my normal listens, but that only made it more enjoyable. It took me a bit to get invested, but the story really picked up in the second half and I enjoyed the mystery and twist. The best part though, is the full cast narration. It made distinguishing between characters overall easier and the addition of sound effects really enhanced the story. I do wish that the same character would have been voiced by the same narrator throughout though to keep things consistent. For example, there were times that Penny was voiced by Mindy Kaling (love her!) and then others where a different narrator took over. I'm excited to see where the author takes the story next within this world.