Worldwalker, by Jamie Dalton

_lianalopez's review

If you like stories concentrated on magic, elves, dwarves and humans, then this is for you!

A Great War occurs in this story 500 years prior, where humans have lost magical abilities, dwarves and elves seem to be non existent, only for it all to abruptly change as Adalyn’s kingdom is attacked. Her people are forced to go into hiding or are captured by an external force. It is quite quick moving for Adalyn who has a simple life and learns that she is from a long line of magical humans. It is with her power in which the story unfolds as can help save everyone.

I enjoyed the main character Adalyn as her perfectly normal life is thrown into chaos. She is a caring, loving character who develops powers that were inside her all along. The concept of the “worldwalker”is unique to what I’ve read and because of this, I found Adalyn’s development enjoyable to read. It’s a short read and I found it easy to keep turning the page. The story does end on a cliffhanger, so looking forward to the second book. I enjoyed the hot knight Nolan and their relationship developing, but can also see something developing with Venlian, so potential love triangle. We will just have to see!

vmith4's review

Worldwalker is a YA fast pace plot driven story with a little romance.Adelyn finds out well she is asleep she can Worldwalker. She thought that humans only roman the earth but they wrong. She has to learn to own power and grow with them. I recieved this arc from the author for honest review and I cant wait for more.

winter_pixie's review

Read this as part of an ARC.

I loved this story. For me it was fast paced and full of character and depth for those characters. My only complaint is that I have to wait for book 2. I also can't wait to see who the MC decides to build a relationship with. I'm rooting for Venny

paperbackloveaffair's review

Worldwalker was a unique fantasy book! As much as I love ACOTAR and all the other books similar to that, it was refreshing to see something a little different. There were elves, dwarves, and magic and non-magic humans. There was a bit of romance (sweet and innocent, nothing spicy, PG13), but mostly focused on the task at hand, fixing a 500-year old qualm between 2 kingdoms.

The world building was really good, the magic system is still only partially defined and I’m curious to see where the author takes it in the coming books! However, I’m still a little wary of the characters. I don’t know who to trust. I have my opinions, but I’m excited to continue the series and figure out who I actually can trust.

Adelyn was a strong female lead. Her mentor was also female, teaching her magic that has been 500 years forgotten. There were only a few times she relied on a man, and the rest of the time, she was saving their lives. She had a strong support system of men and women.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I found the writing to be simple and easy to read. It was also a quick read. This feels like a good book to read if you need to get out of a reading slump, quick, easy, and entertaining read. Looking forward to the sequel!

sarasbooktalk's review against another edition

I'm terrible at giving good reviews. My only opinions in this case is was really good but I had a hard time following the time line of everything. Felt like everything happened in one week.

jenm313's review against another edition

Worldwalker was a great read. I enjoyed the dialogue and backstory that was well written throughout the book. The banter was very well written It's 4 stars only because I like a little bit more world building and description. That's just a preference on my part.

travelbossbabe's review

This book is an amazing read! If you are a fan of YA Fantasy, this is your book!

The war has been over for 500 years, but the other side doesn’t know it yet. The world building continues throughout the book and the world keeps expanding. With magic destroyed with the end of the war, who is left to teach our heroine why she travels in her SLEEP???

Come to find out, the humans aren’t alone in the world. And there are many realms to explore and learn from.

I like that there is a little bit of a cute romance added in but it isn’t the overwhelming plot for the entire book. I am probably going to gift this book to my daughter when it comes out in paperback! Would read many times over and I cannot wait for the sequel!

simmer_paws's review

4/5 stars

Thank you for the ARC in exchange for an honest review!

When I found this book on tiktok I was super excited because it was a Young Adult Fantasy story that seemed truly unique from other stuff I have read, and I was even more excited when I actually enjoyed the book.

The book was rather short when compared to most YA fantasy novels nowadays but I never really felt like I was missing out on things within the story. I had wished for some of the training to be shown to just further our main character’s story especially after she is given a weapon that is so connected to her abilities, and I feel like it would have helped me to understand her impulsiveness in some scenes. On the other hand though, the abilities of our main character, Adalyn, has felt really unique and I’m excited to see how they expand while her story continues in the sequel as they seem like they expand further than what we got to see in this book.

If you’re looking for a short fast paced young adult fantasy novel that has intriguing abilities and lots of action this is it.

bibliophilelair96's review

Love this book. Kept me pulled into it.
5 star book. Blurb caught my eye, cover fits into the story. Might reread this later on in the year. Highly recommend this book

morrigan_gaines_writes's review

adventurous fast-paced

**I received this book as an ARC and this is my honest opinion**

Worldwalker is set in a world where magic hasn't been present for centuries. Adalyn is working in the kings kitchen when she discovers she has the magical ability to worldwalk. Throughout the story the cast becomes more diverse as she discovers elves and dwarves.

This book is fast paced which means you're never bored. But, I do feel like we missed some character development and story development in exchange for the fast pace. I wanted to connect with Adalyn but by the end of the book I felt like I was still missing something from her. I don't need a strong female character (and she doesn't come off as one in my opinion) but I did want to see her questioning more or struggling. I mean, she gets these powers and only has a spirit to really help her strengthen them. I was a lot more interested in Venlian than Adalyn. Nolan also started giving me a bit of the heebie-jeebies tbh... I wanted to see more of her reasoning for being interested in him.

The world building is nicely worked in. Especially when they world jumped. I felt like that part of the story was one of the strongest in terms of character development and worldbuilding/description. It does end at a cliff hanger but it works with the story.

The epilogue was a little out of place for me. I enjoyed it, but I wonder if I had read it as a prologue without knowing the narrator if it would have impacted the intrigue of the story better. As an epilogue I felt like just glossing through it because it didn't seem as important. Also, I didn't realize until the end that the other world still thought they were at war. Like, it was hinted at but the impact of that I feel would have affected the mood of the story differently if it had been mentioned more clearly. A lot of opportunities for more descriptive world building were overlooked in my opinion.

Overall, I did enjoy the story. I'm curious to see where this series goes. I'm hoping to learn more about this world and the reforged alliances that are coming clear. It was well written and the parts are all there, I was just missing a little extra oomph to make it stick in my brain and feel connected. I love the idea of a world rediscovering magic and of a simple woman having to navigate leadership that she isn't prepared for or wanting.