The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams

bazil's review against another edition

Just not my cup of tea.

malavikagk's review against another edition

Stephen Fry should be made to narrate all audiobooks !

sanabanana's review against another edition

I had the most funnest of times reading this. full of belly laughs and witticisms, the whole story was comedic genius. Pretty much read like the dreams i have when i am dead tired.

plaeski's review against another edition

I liked parts of this book a lot. Not to mention I get a lot more of the pop culture references to this book now. But for some reason this book left me feeling like I was missing something. I don't really feel like there was a conclusion to anything because there was nothing really going on. Smart writing and very detailed world development though, I think I'll need to read it again in the future to really get it.

mckinseyf's review against another edition

Only read this because so many people love it. I think the humor in this book is either too absurd for me or it just goes right over me head. Not helped by the fact that I'm not into science fiction at all to begin with.

dhuha's review against another edition

Silly in the best way. Can’t wait to read the remaining books in the trilogy

crabbit40's review

adventurous funny lighthearted reflective fast-paced

sandsnek's review against another edition

Wow!!!! What the... Did that... But.... Huh????
Dx oh my gosh!!

This book has the CRAZIEST structure ever! And it's just insane how Douglas Adams can create an ending to this that just takes everything and fits it together like a puzzle.

I have to admit I was beginning to get really frustrated with this series because it's everywhere... One moment they are on one planet and then a chapter later they are on another.. Then there are plots that make you wonder what the hell they have to do with anything... (Not to mention that sometimes all you can think is "What the fuck are you talking about?!?")... But at the end it all just makes sense.

I adore the characters and the dialogue and interactions between them. This book was hilarious beginning to end and it was just so much fun to read. A bit exhausting after a while, but completely worth it. :)

aleena123's review

adventurous funny medium-paced

ambern's review against another edition

Although it may be dated, it is still a classic example of how humorous the written word can be.

Arthur Dent has a problem. His house is going to be destroyed. Little does he know that's not actually his problem. And he doesn't even have a towel.

Adams' quirky writing style and interesting narrative brings the reader right along with Arthur as he journeys through the entire galaxy with Ford Prefect, Zaphod Beeblebrox, Trillian and Marvin (the manic depressive robot). It could have been written 100 years ago and it would still be incredibly creative and inventive. Gives you just as much as you need without overplaying anything.

This book answers the Ultimate question to life, the universe and everything! What you have to think about is what the question actually is.