Love at First, by Kate Clayborn

april_m's review

inspiring sad medium-paced

hayers's review

emotional lighthearted reflective relaxing slow-paced

anatoledo's review

fast-paced

This was such a good read. I love Clayborn’s style of writing. The side characters were adorable and engaging, and I love the characterisation around Will and Nora, their jobs, pasts, etc. Overall the love at first sight trope is not my favourite, buy it was really well done. It was a bit too fast paced for me and there was a little something missing for a 5 star rating but it was really excellent.

rebleejen's review

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

jarissarose's review

emotional lighthearted slow-paced

thejufox's review

4.5 stars!

I only just finished crying from finishing this book, I'm emotional. This was so sweet!
Love at First has solidified my trust in Kate Clayborn to not over-drama-fy her romances in the third act. There was just enough of a third act that it existed and made the characters work through one last thing before the ending, but none of it felt like it was too much or even unnecessary. It's not very often that I feel like the final act is absolutely necessary for characters to get together, but here it felt like they weren't fully on the same page before it happened.
I loved the way they both equally apologised to each other when they knew they should have reacted differently to a certain thing, because it really showed that it wasn't just one of them that needed to work on something.

At first I wasn't entirely sure about Gerald's character (Will's boss doctor guy), but by the end of the story I absolutely loved him. Will and Gerald's talk towards the end made me so emotional and happy!
All of the neighbours in the building were also perfect as side characters. They each brought something fun to the story when needed and added some great humour here and there.

I'm already looking forward to the next Kate Clayborn romance (and while waiting I'll likely read her older ones).

koleworld's review

2.5 stars.

I read Love Lettering last year and really enjoyed it. I recommended it to a friend and she enjoyed it as well. She's the one that reminded me Kate Clayborn had a second book out, so I looked it up, it was available, and I started my reading journey.

But like, nothing happened in this book... I feel like both Will and Nora are the main characters but Nora also just feels like a faceless human the entire time. Who is she? What makes her unique? Why should I like her? Why did her voice capture Will's attention for sixteen years????

Originally I thought Nora was outside singing and that's why her voice caught his attention - but no.

Nora feels....kind of the way a lot of men can be written in romance books - where their entire character is written like "he was dull, but hot." And I don't mean that Nora is just some hot girl, but I just mean she was just kind of there to tell Will's story almost. He felt like the main character to me and Nora was...just there...but I didn't really see the vibe between them.

A few other people have said this book was fine, but kind of forgettable and that's how I feel as well.

I also REALLY struggled with the narrator anytime it was a man's voice. I tried to mimic how she sounded and I was like, oh if I was doing a less mumbly impression of Richard Nixon, this is the voice. I knew I wouldn't finish this if I swapped over to the physical version so I just pushed through but if it was a book I was super into I would have immediately swapped the audio for a physical version.

courtneybliese's review

lighthearted medium-paced

Audiobook

itsdeeps's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

jesslovelybooks's review

Thank you NetGalley & Kensington Books for this ARC for my honest review.

This was an absolute delight from start to finish. Nora and Will’s journey about overcoming loss, rebuilding yourself and learning to truly embrace new love; yea, gave me all the feels. I couldn’t put this one down, definitely a one sit read for me. This story makes you laugh, makes you want to cry and makes you love again.