The Noh Family, by Grace K. Shim

zinelib's review against another edition

fast-paced

I've read a ton of K-Pop YA. TNF is my first K-Drama. Since I don't watch K-Dramas (or listen to K-Pop, actually), I can only assume this novel has all of the elements: chaebols, jealousy, slow-burning revelations, late night shin ramyun, and a love interest who carries an umbrella.

Protagonist Chloe Chang grows up knowing nothing about her father, who died before she was born or when she was a baby (I don't remember). She and her two besties, Hazel and Seb, fantasize that Chloe's dad is a local newscaster and for Chloe's 18th birthday, Hazel and Seb buy her a 23 and Me kit to see if they're right. They're not, but a cousin appears!

Cut to Chloe being whisked to Seoul, first-class to meet her halmoni, who happens to own an enormous department store and other holdings, along with the rest of the complicated Noh family. Chloe's secretive mother had been against Chloe's trip the whole time and does little too cooperate, which frustrates Chloe and makes her suspicious. Secrets are revealed and betrayals ensue.

It's quick, fun read, and I'm eager for a sequel.

stassxx's review against another edition

emotional reflective sad medium-paced

jess_segraves's review against another edition

Devoured this basically in one sitting - please tell me there’s a sequel coming!!

mystic_bookwyrm's review against another edition

emotional hopeful medium-paced

Some things in the plot felt a little too conveniently coincidental, and some of that was explained later on but others weren’t. Some relationships didn’t feel fully fleshed out. The last bit of the book felt a little rushed and the ending was too abrupt. I’m hoping it was supposed to be a sort of cliffhanger and that there will be a sequel. Overall it was an enjoyable book and I would read the sequel

untitledfornow's review against another edition

2.5 stars

This book is a fun, addicting read that screams KDrama.

It will keep you on the edge of your seat if for no other reason than waiting for the moment Chloe finally catches on to what the reader figured out 200 pages ago

beautynherbooks's review against another edition

Wow, who knew that my obsession with k-dramas could’ve prepared me for this amazing book? Because I for one could tell that I thought all those years were wasted but this book has taken them and given them a new light. I felt like instead of watching a drama I was reading one unfolds with so many of my favourite troupes that I was swooning and solving the mystery all at the same time.
When Chloe is gifted a DNA test, the last thing she thought she’d learn is that she has a distant family connection…but let’s take it one step further and MEET them in South Korea!? Throw in one of the richest families in South Korea, some stunning fashions, and lots of deceit and you are in for one wild ride
I loved how as a reader I felt immersed in the South Korean culture, not only in the foods but in the family dynamics, the different classes, and how you treat various members in both family and society. Oh, and the mother-daughter relationship is definitely key in this book. While it is rocky for a little bit, I enjoyed that you could see the turmoil and the love between the two, which totally added to the story.

babybeluga's review against another edition

mayarelmahdy's review against another edition

3.5/5

This was wild. It compares to me making up scarily weird stories when I'm trying to be funny. but, IS THERE A PART 2?

This is how this ends? Really?

aprilbooksandwine's review against another edition

dark emotional medium-paced

twiinklex's review against another edition

I wasn't expecting this to be such a fun page-turner! It was 4am by the time I stopped at 60% but I've gotta admit that I did toy with the idea of finishing it in one shot