Reviews for Cast in Firelight, by Dana Swift

danielagreads's review

This book brought me out of my reading slump. I really enjoyed the building romance between Adraa and Jatin. Cast in Firelight was the perfect mix of magic, action, and romance for me. The worldbuilding and magic systems were intricate and thorough, fully immersing me into the story. While I did enjoy the story, as I'm not Indian, I cannot say whether or not the portrayal of this world was accurate as it was not written by an Indian author. One complaint I have is not with the book itself but with cover art. Adraa is described multiple times throughout the novel as dark-skinned and even as the darkest one in the room, but the illustration makes her a lot lighter than anticipated.

birdiesbooktopia's review

how does one explain to their parents that they preordered this book...right after finishing their eARC of it? asking for a friend, of course!!!!

this book is everything! i cannot stress enough that you NEED to read this because i can’t suffer on my own (YES I CRIED STOP ASKING?). also, a month ago i said that i hadn’t found a good arranged marriage story that wasn’t toxic yet...

i would just like to announce that miss dana swift changed that. look where we are now, all obsessed and mentally unstable.

in all seriousness though, i find that most books either have amazing characters or a scream-worthy plot. cast in firelight had BOTH?!?!?! miss...that’s illegal.

that’s not the only illegal think about this book: the sequel isn’t out yet. what—how—HELP? you can’t just go around and casually leave me with an ending like that??? im too emotional for this.

for my full review full of panicking, click here!

ps: this is not an own voices book but i hope this won’t make anyone turn down this book. as the author herself said: “You may wonder why I tried to craft a fantasy in which none of the main characters look like me. And for me the answer is simple: because these characters will look like my children.”

blog | bookstagram | more

anitareads's review

adventurous medium-paced

larainsidebooks's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

amyaislin's review

adventurous funny mysterious sad tense slow-paced

For the first 50% of this book, I considered DNFing. It was incredibly slow and I didn't care about either of the characters.

Once things finally picked up and Adraa and Jatin finally started to work together, that's when I finally got invested.

Adraa and Jatin were very cute together and I liked how their relationship progressed. I also liked the storyline as well, once it got going and am curious to see how it plays itself out in the sequel.

larslovesbooks's review

adventurous challenging lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

This has renewed my faith in YA. I thought maybe I was beginning to outgrow it especially after the last few books I read but I guess I haven’t!

This books is so refreshing and charming. The world building is interesting and innovative if a bit simplistic. The characters are awesome - Adraa and Jatin are amazing and their chemistry works. The mix of character development and plot is great - I read this all in one sitting no breaks.

I really scraped the barrel trying to thing of what I didn’t like about this book. It’s just so charming! Yes it’s not Own-voices but I think the character paid good homage to Indian culture. The magic system is a little simplistic but that’s good as you understand what element each person is wielding even with the made up magical words (each color/power element is spelt backwards in case you missed it 😉). Though some of the plot was predictable, I love the ending - didn’t see it coming. It also wasn’t a crazy gimmicky cliffhanger. Can not wait to read the next book. 4.5/5 stars.

catherinereads88's review

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

I absolutely loved this title so much! The characters are well flushed out and, though I'm not usually a fan of alternating perspective, I actually really enjoyed how the author did it for this story. Adraa is an amazing protagonist and I was rooting for her the whole time. Jatin is adorable and I truly loved his character. I was initially concerned about the romance going in because I'm not a fan of hidden identities, but they way the author handled it and the reveal was brilliant and I couldn't have been happier with where it ended up. The world building is so well done and the magic system is unlike any other I've read before, which was a lot of fun. The pacing of this story in non-stop in the best possible way and I loved all the action scenes! I cannot wait for the sequel to come out next year!

maitland96's review

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

brynnereads's review

I'm in love with this book. Seriously. I feel like I need to yell about it.

This book was beautifully written and so rich with details. The emotion feels real and make it easy to connect to the characters, and the story is compelling. This isn't an enemies to lovers book, but it has the same kind of tension to it. I like the world that this book is set in too.
The mystery in the book is exciting and the ending is such a twist that sets the book up for a sequel that I basically can't wait to get my hands on.

I really don't have much to say about this other than that it was really freaking good and everyone should go read it. Now, like right now.