Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson

googolplex33's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful mysterious slow-paced

callmeoli's review against another edition

Sanderson to niekwestionowany mistrz fantastyki. Po raz kolejny dałam się porwać genialnie zarysowanej historii, politycznym intrygom i nietuzinkowym bohaterom, a wszystko to złożyło się na świetne doświadczenie. Obawiałam się, że po fantastycznej trylogii Z mgły zrodzony, Elantris nie spełni moich wysokich oczekiwań i nie mogłam mylić się bardziej. Ta powieść także zawiera niezwykle interesujący system magiczny i tajemnicę jaką jest samo miasto Elantris i jego mieszkańcy. i trochę mi smutno, że nie ma kontynuacji, bo chętnie poczytałabym o dalszych losach Sarene i Raodena. W każdym razie, kto jeszcze nie zna twórczości Sandersona - shame on you! Polecam bardzo, proszę czytać i się zachwycać.

amjmiller's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

argentrabe's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

colton_joseph's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious tense slow-paced

emilyplun's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

abookishblether's review against another edition

Technically DNF @ 75%

I get that its probably considered sacrilege to actively dislike a Brando Sando book, but I can't lie about this one. Elantris is failed by such a strong reliance on the "I'm not like other girls" brand of feminism and unrealistic main characters.

We have two main characters: Sarene, the Princess of a neighbouring country who is betrothed to the Raoden, the Prince of Kae. Sarene travels from her home to marry the Prince who sadly is struck by the Shaod and must be sent into the city of Elantris where all the others cursed by Shaod magic have to live. Raoden immediately upon learning the new rules of life in Elantris decides to pick the city up by its bootstraps and turn this curse into a positive. He is relentlessly positive after being told he's essentially a zombie with no hope for a future. Also, every person he recruits to his cause to make Elantris great again seems to magically have the skills he needs. The one of those scenes goes:

Raoden: Hey, wanna join us?
Recruits: Yes, sounds good. What can we do for you?
Raoden: Well if only I had someone skilled enough to build a roof.......

ferzemkhan's review

adventurous inspiring mysterious medium-paced

a_new_elisabeth's review against another edition

hopeful medium-paced

I hated Hrathen, way more then i was supposed too. Was dreading his chapters and everything. Thankfully, almost all of them are really short. Sarene was, in the beginning, way too blunt for such an admired and succesfull politicien. Also in the beginning, conversation felt very uneasy. People were reacting to something slightly motivating with tears in their eyes. It smoothed out after a bit. It very clearly is BrandySandy's first published novel.

Adored all the plot twists.

shannasaurus_rex's review against another edition

I absolutely loved this, and I kind of want to kick myself for putting off reading it.