Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty

juicebox24's review against another edition

Amazing book. She's so relatable in her life lessons and explains how death is a part of life.

carolhoffm's review against another edition

“Death is the engine that keeps us running, giving us the motivation to achieve, learn, love, and create”

So thought-provoking, funny and eye opening.

xxstefaniereadsxx's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced

This book discusses the career of Caitlin Doughty, who works in the underappreciated field of mortuary science. One of my favorite things to do is visit cemeteries, the older the better, and see the amazing history and design that these places have. I think a lot of people are morbidly curious about what goes on behind the scenes in funeral homes and crematoriums, as well as curious why people are drawn to that particular profession. I have been wanting to read this book for a while, and I was lucky enough to catch it on Audible Plus. I listened to it during my shift at work, which has become a great way to pass the day and not listen to a particularly obnoxious coworker I have. This was around six hours to listen to, but the book is around 300 pages if you are interested in that format. Overall, it was a pretty enlightening book, and I appreciated the humor of the author as well.

marinaplndr's review against another edition

dark funny informative medium-paced

danroussel's review against another edition

funny informative reflective medium-paced

inusays's review against another edition

stormecho52's review

funny informative reflective medium-paced

annalies's review against another edition

challenging funny informative lighthearted reflective medium-paced

finneas's review against another edition

funny hopeful informative reflective fast-paced

tophat8855's review against another edition

A good October read. Always good to ponder death and our relationship with it and our plans for it. This is a mix of a memoir of Doughty’s first mortuary job (just a mile and a half down the street from me!) and a history of death and the traditions surrounding it.

And her Ask a Mortician series is also really good.

Memento mori.