Even if the Sky Falls by Mia Garcia

vll295's review

This is the story of Julie and Miles and an adventure that takes place in New Orleans. An exploration of the city, some romance, and self-discovery while coping with what has been going on in their own lives makes the plot for this one that keeps you wanting to know what will happen. I loved that it was set in New Orleans because I was just there in February and some of the sites were very vivid in my mind. I appreciated the authors attention to detail and would recommend this one. Disclaimer: I was provided a free review copy on Edelweiss, but all opinions are my own.

authorjasminecartwright's review against another edition

Such a beautiful story

Even if the Sky Falls is such a beautiful read. Lovers of the "Everything happens in a single night" type of story will definitely love this one. The characters are beautifully written and I love that they are both ethnic! It only lost one star for me due to parts that delve too deep into NOLA history for my liking but still relevant to the story and the flashback and back story in general could have been a little less. The ending was perfect!!!! Miles is perfection and Julie is great too!

fruitylish's review

I felt like it was a little drawn out. But a nice story.

marisacarroll's review

adventurous funny lighthearted

kimching232's review

When I first read about Even If the Sky Falls, I wanted to read it immediately. It also helps that the cover looks amazing, so of course I really wanted to read it. However, I must say that I am disappointed by the book. The first few pages were very promising, but as I read on, I hated it more and more.

At almost 10% of the book, I felt like there was something about the way it was written that didn’t fly well with me. Although it was very interesting, I just didn’t feel connected to the story nor the main character. I didn't feel any feels from the romance, and the way it went just felt weird and unnatural to me. I thought that there was no chemistry at all between the two characters.

I also hated the fact that there were quite a lot of things written in Spanish, when I don’t know a single word of Spanish. I always hate that because how the heck would I understand it? Another thing that I hated is the fact that it seemed to jump between past and present per chapter without any warning, so you’d read the first sentence in a chapter and think it’s a continuation, only to learn later on that the chapter is actually about something from the past. It was very confusing, and I just got annoyed when I learned about it.

I actually had luck in the past with books that happen in a span of 24 hours like Where She Went and The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, but this one just didn’t go well for me. For contemporary novels, especially those that happen in just a day, I usually fly through them quickly. However, I read this one in a number of days. I just wasn’t grasped by the story, and I just really didn’t like it.

I also hated how the ending felt lacking somehow. I felt like it just ended abruptly, and there were still so many questions left unanswered. I mean, they didn't even talk, they just kissed and it ended right there! I feel cheated somehow.

I tried so badly to like this because the premise is very interesting and it seemed like my type of read, but I just really didn't enjoy this one. I also think that it put me in a mini reading slump, which just sucks for me. However, I also think that Mia Garcia is a promising author, but just not with this particular novel. After all, the story in itself is well written for the most part.

milkshakevoid's review

Glorious. This book is everything I want from writers and more. I don't have a single complaint, and I can safely say that it's one of the best books I've read this year.
I'll be buying my own copy, and recommending it to everyone I know, because regardless of your favorite genre, you should read this book.
No other book does for a city why Mia Garcia just did for New Orleans. Having been there myself, (and not liked it), her words make me want to revisit the city and try again, because she conjured up some serious magic.
Contemporary anything is never high on my list, but the words in this book flowed so beautifully, with such grace that it pulled me right along at break-neck speed and then some.
All writing and story telling super powers aside, my favorite thing about this novel is Lila and Miles and the fact that they are a mixed race couple, and fucking perfect. Also, the blue hair doesn't hurt. But I loved the culture that's woven into Lila's thoughts about her Abuela so much.
And I think we can all agree that the only thing Tavis needed more was a swift kick to the groin, but no matter, this book and it's ending were beautiful.
A++++

HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

gladysreads's review against another edition

This book was super good and I was kinda crying when Julie was looking for Miles/Jeremiah. If I were her I would've cried every second until I knew he was safe. Oh my gosh, I love how the main characters are people of color and I love Miles hair because black people with colored hair is seen much. Tavis was so rude annoying I really hoped that Julie would've kicked him in the groin after he kissed her. I mean consent is VERY important but does Tavis have problems listening because...? I only wished this book was longer or had a sequel because their story cannot just end with "He kissed me and it tasted like sunshine". I am bruised, I am dead and I should've cried more when I finished the book.

girlreading's review

I absolutely loved this. It was utterly adorable, incredibly easy to read and although the romance was definitely instalove (which I usually don’t warm to) it didn’t bother me at all. In fact, I thoroughly enjoyed the romance. Both of the main characters were wonderfully cute and both dealing with their own issues and wanted to escape them for one night and I loved it. I absolutely adored the descriptions of Mardi Gras and New Orleans. It was fun, immersive, captivating and made me want to go there even more than I already do. It also had a really diverse cast of characters, with Julie being Puerto Rican and other than maybe two or three characters, the rest of the cast were POC. with two characters in or having been in M/M relationships. Even If The Sky Falls was an utterly cute, quick and easy read, with adorably witty characters, an equally adorable romance and an added depth bought to it through discussion of money and mental illness. This is a thoroughly enjoyable, adorable contemporary and one I’d definitely recommend.

renel's review

Is it just me, or is there something a little bit off about this book in the first few pages? I continued to read and eventually got into it, but it took a few pages! I did really like the how the writer used New Orleans in the story and it really set a good scene.

cupcakegirly's review

*Brb, caught up in a hurricane of emotion and I'm not ready to come back down yet.*

Sometimes a book sneaks up on you, kicks you in the feels and steals your heart all while making you laugh and swoon. That's what this book did to me.

When I picked it up at 11:00 last night, I only expected to read a few pages. By 1:30a.m., I had to force myself to put it down. Because sleep. And kids. And life. When I picked it back up again today, I didn't stop until I reached the end. Then, I wanted to go back to the beginning and start all over again.

I've never visited New Orleans, but Mia Garcia made me feel as though I was a character in the story, watching from the sidelines, covered in glitter and stuffing my face full of beignets.

And Miles...Oh.My.Miles. Charismatic, witty, charming, and almost too cute for his own good, Miles is the kind of boy who makes you believe in love at first sight. He's sweet too, with a genuineness about him that makes it easy to see how Julie could get swept up into an adventure with him, even if only for a night.

This book delivers a hearty kick in the feels; Julie and Miles are both dealing with issues, but Mia Garcia does a great job of weaving romance and humor into their story. It left me with a feeling of hope, new discoveries, and healing.

Adventure. Romance. Diversity. Swoon. This book has a little of everything. Fans of Paula Stokes, Sarah Dessen, and Gayle Foreman will enjoy this.

Read it.