Black Rain by Masuji Ibuse

alisynamant's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

hailhex's review

challenging dark

bonnie3088's review

dark informative reflective sad tense slow-paced

"I hated war. Who cared, after all, which side won? The only important this was to end it all soon as possible: rather an unjust peace, than a "just" war!"

This is a great book that talks about the true victims and horror of war.
It is a narrative that is both through journal entry's and current narration. It provides an excellent tale on who is most affected by the atom bomb and the injustice of it all.

It is kinda boring towards the end as it kind of drags on but the story is still powerful and sad nonetheless. I felt i became more invested in Yasuko than anything else and felt her pain toward the end of the story.

kmatthe2's review

A wonderful book. Stark, yet lyrical. Haunting without being overtly didactic. A wonderful companion piece to Hersey's book.

tstockwell86's review against another edition

I have no doubt that this is an important book, but it got so bogged down in unnecessary detail and a complete lack of story after the first hundred pages or so that I had to stop. There's zero character development, and flicking to the end, the small sliver of story that there is seems to be unresolved. I wanted to know about the characters and their feelings and be spared monotonous passages about coal and divisional managers.

The novel does succeed in depicting the true magnitude of the horrors of Hiroshima, but honestly it could be cut in half and pack much more of a punch, much like Julie Otsuka's The Buddha In The Attic, albeit a book that deals with Japanese-Americans and, in part, internment.

Black Rain is not the book for me, but for those who are more inclined to non-fiction or who have a deep interest in WWII, I'd recommend this.

narpus's review

Very chilling account of the Hiroshima bombing. Did make me feel icky at times, but did a good job of describing the grotesque.

traceyqchen's review

challenging emotional tense slow-paced

sarah_dietrich's review

Really good, very sad. An interesting examination of WWII Japanese society. This is a fictionalised account based on some real diaries from Hiroshima survivors, I would love to know which parts are fact/how much creative license was taken.

kingxsyed's review

Informative book. Dragged in some areas but the structure and narrative were very well done. The levels of description were exceptional and the characters themselves were different but well made. Solid novel

drbitchcraft's review

challenging dark reflective sad tense slow-paced