Cold Enough for Snow by Jessica Au

tinalina's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

chrzanizm's review against another edition

floatinthevoid's review

lighthearted reflective relaxing fast-paced

For some reason, I have vivid sensations of what the story look like if it were a movie. It was flowing very smoothly with a hazy feeling of a memory that you feel like your own, or a movie you have watched long ago. This book is perfect for train rides, tranquil, contemplative, and moving. A nice breather read. Recommended.

abbyrosenoble's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

keeley_allen's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective slow-paced

a_here's review against another edition

"it was like remembering the details of a dream she once had, that perhaps, at some point in her life, there had been things worth screaming and crying over, some deeper truth, or even horror, that everyone around you perpetually denied, which only made you angrier and angrier. Yet now, my sister could not harness that feeling, only the memory of it, or not even that, but something even more remote."
p. 16
"My boyfriend often joked that I was the kind of person who would be happy in a mountain temple, told only to sweep the dust from the floor each day, to contemplate that natureĀ  of time and labor, and the difference, or absolute sameness, between a dirty surface and a clean one."
p. 61
"At first, my boyfriend and I drifted together past the works, which he admired and called beautiful, though I had a feeling he did not know exactly why. It was as if we were inspecting a row of pearls, which of course were beautiful, by their very nature, so that simply to say so meant close to nothing."
p. 65
"I had one vague, exhausted thought that perhaps it was all right not to understand all things, but simply to see and hold them."
p. 86

kotabee's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

vilx_'s review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective relaxing sad slow-paced

shakesabit's review against another edition

reflective sad medium-paced

missdandyreads's review against another edition

Funny that the year is going to end with a bang and my last read was quite the opposite: the calmest, quietest book I've read in 2022 - and an absolute highlight.
Cold Enough For Snow surprised me with its elegant, delicate and poetic prose. A daughter who feels like she lost ties with her mother, her family, her life tries (desperately) to reestablish them on a trip to a foreign country and through art, books and museum visits, recalling stories from the past. "Careful" is one of the words that I happened to notice throughout the book and it describes the behavior of both main characters well: Careful is the way the protagonist approaches and observes every detail about her mother, careful is her mother who appears fragile and shy, always trying to be decent, well-behaving and quiet.
There is an omnipresence of art in this book, paintings, galleries, sculptures, books, and the wonders of nature which too feel artistic and poetic.
I fell in love with this book and I hope many more readers will indulge in this slim volume that feels like it could very well go on forever. 5+ stars.