The Dragon Republic, by R.F. Kuang

chainofnovels's review against another edition

*anguished screaming*

you BACKSTABBING TRAITOROUS LITTLE-

Never have I wanted so many people to die in the most painful way possible, especially AFTER WHAT THEY DID *sobs*

I want to die

albusmumblecore's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

ebruyayla's review

adventurous challenging dark fast-paced

bridgett's review

dark slow-paced

ghulsona's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

An excellent read! I came straight to reading this after finishing the first book and I wasn't disappointed. It kept me at the edge of the seat, I had no idea who to trust with the rapidly shifting alliances and betrayals. I will say though, the military battles scenes take up a lot more of this book and were a bit hard to power through this time around.

Rin finally sees Altan for his flaws, which is what I was hoping for in this book, but she still has a lot of room for development. There were several scenes in the book where I wanted to pull out my hair from how stubborn and hotheaded she was being, but it's good to see a main character with such a glaring flaw. I am deeply fascinated with her mindset. Despite all her flaws, I still find myself rooting for her to overcome her obstacles.

I'm really glad that Kitay had a big presence  - I think he's probably going to be my favorite character in this series. It was very interesting to witness how his mindset is getting darker and he's grown more jaded, but he still remains a kind of bright light in Rin's life. Venka having a bigger role in this book was greatly appreciated too, she made a great addition to the cast and I can't wait to see more with her. (Kind of a spoiler) That plot twist with Nezha in the end was brilliant! I had totally warmed up to him and did not see that coming at all, I am very curious as to how this will come into play in the later books.
Spoiler The gradual elimination of the Cike really devastated me more than any other deaths so far :( I really adored them and am going to miss them a lot.

Overall, I was satisfied with this book. It'll probably take a while before I pick up the next book because I am a bit exhausted from reading about so much fighting and death LOL, but I am excited to see how this conflict develops. Oh, and all white people are the devil - fuck the Hesperians!

cubobble3's review

I love antihero MC so much omg and Rin is finally getting it together and yet being a mess, I truly eat this up

smzhou's review against another edition

Stunning. Like the first one, I was completely engrossed in the story.

daniella84's review against another edition

*spoilers*

She really popped off huh

Continues to amaze with complex characters and politics, a main character who isn't always agreeable, and Nezha!! My KING!! Everything was great but damn those last fifty pages or so really hit different...

The only thing I didn't vibe with so much was all the Cike dying - it felt kind of unnecessary to me but I guess they had to be gotten rid of somehow? V excited to see where this goes in the next book!

bookishexpat's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

bellareads03's review against another edition

I wasn’t feeling the main characters. Rin made some rough decisions but then proceeded to whine about it being her fault and just acted like a child. she commits genocide and then pretends she didn’t know what happened…
Spoiler also crazy how she handled the death of that one water dude (I think he was a water dude) anyway - she legit only cared he died because she couldn’t use him anymore… I thought they were supposed to be a team
I thought I liked morally grey characters but Rin is hard to support. I guess it’s realistic because she is still a young girl but damn … she just started getting on my nerves. If characters do bad shit I don’t want to hear them whine about it I want them to learn from it or own up to it. Anyway, the writing style was great, it just story wise wasn’t for me. I can understand why people like it though.