The Last Wish, by Andrzej Sapkowski

courtharman's review against another edition

slow-paced

kayhutch's review against another edition

I changed my rating a few times, bouncing between 3 and 4 stars. I think it was fun to read (or listen to in my case), but I think listening to it via audiobook really didn't help much. It's very fantastical, and I can totally understand how it sparked into a videogame. It seems like the Witcher is fighting one monster after another, which makes for a great videogame plot line.

muddler's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

hayleybel's review against another edition

Weird ending, misogynistic writing but I would read the series if I happened to come across the books in a charity shop or if I was lent them. Easy enough to read. Just wish all the women weren't described by their looks and only their looks!!

_jennifertucker's review against another edition

Liked the story, not the episodic feel of the chapters

tundratomes's review

adventurous dark mysterious slow-paced

shawnadd's review against another edition

Good book! There really isn’t a story in here that I wholly disliked, although there were definitely ups and downs. The women in the Last Wish are written so poorly it almost seems like a parody of genre cliches at times. In my opinion that’s probably the book’s biggest sin, and will understandably be the thing that turns off the most people. I also think the fairy tale allusions in the book really seemed tacked on, not in a way that detracted from the stories they’re in, but definitely not in a way that added anything either. I only really mention that because I’ve seen a lot of people talk about that as being one of the cooler/more interesting aspects of the book. It’s not.

All that out of the way, though. I love Geralt and Dandelion’s characters and chemistry, so much so that it noticeably propelled my reading of the second half of the book, which I finished much quicker than the first. I also think the world they’re in and the characters they encounter are super cool and unique (most of the time).

Overall, I had a lot of fun with the stories in the Last Wish. My personal favorite was ‘The Edge of the World.’

urtencija's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

aira_reads's review against another edition

I played Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (and freaking loved it) so naturally I went out and bought the book that inspired it. Suffice to say that I will be coming back to this series (when there's more translated material)

It's original but it pokes fun at fairytales (Like Snow White and the dwarves) and the pacing is great. I was confused at first because we were from point A to point B but I understood how the structure of the novel was and worked it out. All in all,

Memorable quote page 90/91:

Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all

factolvictor's review against another edition

First of all, I bought this book because of the video game series, one of the most famous E-RPGs ever made. Despite the physical resemblance (and even in some other aspects of his personality) with Elric, Geralt is a very interesting character.

This book is actually a collection of short stories of our witcher friend, culminating in the fateful encounter with the famous (and infamous) sorceress Yennefer. This short story Edge of the World and The Last Wish are, without a doubt, the best. The pace of the narrative is quite amazing and the unfolding of the plot has lots of fun.