Cold Storage, by David Koepp

locuraxloslibros's review against another edition

Son las 2.30 de la mañana y no podía irme a dormir sin haber terminado este libro. La verdad que es una historia súper original que me tuvo enganchada desde el principio y que me encantó. Ya me la imagino en la pantalla grande, definitivamente esta historia se merece una adaptación!

knit_and_purl's review against another edition

Solid 3.5 stars. It's a fun, crazy sci-fi thriller in the vein of Michael Crichton. I quite liked the characters, particularly Teacake and Naomi. Roberto is good in a different way. The book start off with a bang, but feels a smidge slow at the third mark. Some of it is way beyond belief, but it makes for an entertaining read. Of course, there's the usual, "climate change is bad--look at what happens" plotline, but whatever. If you need a quick, fun read, give it a go.

erinfalk's review against another edition

rosepage's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

jtl1295's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

storybookvisitor's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

idathevision's review against another edition

This was not what I expected it to be! The first few chapters appeared to set us up for a pretty average zombie apocalypse type story. We have a deadly and super contagious fungus, characters from the military who are experts in the field, and of course the threat that this thing will destroy life on earth if it isn't contained.

Because the beginning was so suspenseful, I thought the book would keep up this fast pace, but it took a different turn. The writing style reminds me of Stephen King in the sense that the plot takes the back seat to so many digressions on the characters. They all have such a detailed backstory, even the minor characters. It gives the whole book a different flavour, but personally I think it makes the book less suspenseful.

The pacing wasn't perfect for me, and neither did I love the omniscient narrator who kept switching POVs (and often spoke of the fungus as if it was sentient), but it's still a pretty good book.

laterry75's review against another edition

Hmmmm...

Maybe it's me.

I tried. I tried twice. I gave it a good 60 pages last night and another 25 this afternoon, and I just can't do it.

I'm not sure what happened here. Koepp has the bona fides. I like his work on the screen. Love it, actually.

These first 90+ pages read like a it was written by someone in the initial throes of their first marijuana experience. So many unnecessary details. So much exposition. I'm sure it was all supposed to be done in the name of world building and character creation. There were just so many run-on sentences. On and on and on about characters. I suppose he wanted me to care about them, but he drowned me in superfluous detail.

Plus, there was a character named "Hero" in the first few chapters, and that's just lazy.

I couldn't hack it, and I really wanted to. Avoid at all costs. And somebody give Koepp an editor and a cheeseburger and tell him to mellow out.

bookishrabbit's review against another edition

This was pure entertainment and I had a blast reading it while sick with a cold. A fungus mutates and is capable of taking over all living life in order to spread itself across the world. It's contained underground for decades but manages to escape and had to be stopped over a single night. The book is full of humor and science that I have no idea is accurate or not, but I could care less about looking into it. It was just fun, and I recommend it.

twiinklex's review against another edition

Stephen King recommended this on Twitter so I read it and loved it. It's been more than 2 years since and I still think about this book sometimes.