Within the Sanctuary of Wings, by Marie Brennan

earwen's review against another edition

Considering the main plot of this book this spent way too much time on unimportant matters and rushed through the actual meat of it. This volume in itself could be multiple books and it makes no sense within the fiction that this is a memoir that so much time would be just glazed over. All the buildup to the main "twist" (for the lack of a better word) was done very well across all books but then it's just....handwaved away. Disappointing in that regard but enjoyable nonetheless.
Still, good series would recommend.

cbrett91's review

adventurous medium-paced

strumhond's review

adventurous inspiring relaxing fast-paced

raymariereads's review

This was such a perfect conclusion to such an amazing series. I loved every bit of this story over all 5 books, and am so sad to say goodbye to these characters (and dragons).

julia_ruth's review

A fitting conclusion to the memoirs of Lady Trent. Isabella takes us on one last adventure where she faces the perils of nature & politics, only to come across her greatest discovery. This final chapter was as pleasurable as the previous books.

mabs's review

adventurous medium-paced

ronpayne's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious relaxing medium-paced

Within the Sanctuary of Wings is an absolutely wonderful ending to an amazingly inventive and fun series. Being the finale, I don't want to talk about too much about the contents of this book lest I spoil any earlier parts of the series. What I loved the most about this was—despite dropping some pretty good hints earlier in the series—Brennan really surprised me with the big twist here. Besides that, anyone who has read any part of the series, should know what to expect. Lady Trent's narrative voice is as strong as ever, there is exploration and science, and the pushing against the boundaries of traditional gender roles. Over all I have loved reading these books, and I'm glad to know I don't have to go away from this world completely as there is a companion novel, Turning Darkness Into Light, for me to look forward to reading.

selefa's review

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring relaxing medium-paced