Reviews for The Novels of Gillian Flynn: Sharp Objects, Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn

emilychu23's review

4 STARS Super well written, and so disturbing!

star_laufeyson's review

Escalofriante

bellscansada's review

W o a h.

owlbear's review

This book is so messed up and one big trigger, but extremely well written.

apolasky's review

This was a gripping page turner that disgusted me most of the time, but it was necessary and it made the novel amazing. It was almost perfect. I can't put my finger on what was it that it was missing, but it wasn't as great as Gone Girl. Dear Gillian, you've done it again. I can't wait to read Dark Places!

laila's review

This was a quick read.

Characters in this book are very stereotypical, the daughters are messed up because the mother is messed up because the grandmother is messed up, a pattern I've seen over and over in books, shows and films. Same with the people in small towns, the rich vs. the poor. The high school experience, the cool kids vs. the bullied kids.

I call this style of writing convenient. A lot of writers follow it.

I felt so uncomfortable reading the "sexual" description of the thirteen years old girls. They are children! What the author tried to deliver could've been delivered without this kind of descriptions.

The only character who did not frustrate me was, Curry, Camille's Boss.

The ending was supposed to be a plot twist, but in my opinion it was not.

Would I recommend this book to people If they asked? I'd say go a head and read it, there's definitely something in it but don't elevate your expectations.

aurabux's review

2 stars
It was entertaining enough for me to finish it but I knew exactly who the killer was right off the bat, also I felt awkward on how somethings were sexualized. I felt like things were very fucked up just to be fucked up and not really add to the story.

devyn1024's review

This was a very enjoyable book especially since I've been reading a string of less enjoyable books. I went in with no expectations and thoroughly got wrapped up in the story. The beginning was a little slow, the writing style was a little dated, the characters were likeable enough and the ending was somewhat surprising and well grounded. I wouldn't go as far as to say this book is overly disturbing but at the very least it's definitely unsettling. Overall, great book, would recommend.

macnbooks's review

predicted everything about this. disappointed, but still read the whole thing whilst very engrossed

christajls's review

This review originally posted at More Than Just Magic

Every time I read another Gillian Flynn novel I love it more than the previous one. She is just so talented. Dark Places is written in her signature style – it is the story of a challenging female lead, neck deep in a dark and twisty mystery.

As I mentioned the lead in this story is challenging – to say the least. Libby’s very self-centered, anti-social, rude etc. But you can’t really fault her because she did see her family get murdered at a young age. It would be weird if she wasn’t a little screwed up. And I think all those flaws are what make her so compelling. In a lot of ways her character growth was more interesting than the mystery itself. She really has to struggle against her own status quo and the more she learns about her brother and the murder, the more her understanding of the world is turned on it’s head. All that being said the mystery is still really well constructed with a lot of great twists! I found the twists in Gone Girl and Sharp Objects to be somewhat predictable but this one totally surprised me.

I’m also incredibly grateful that they used different narrators for the different points of view. It really added depth to the characters, as their voices melded with the different personalities. Though I think Rebecca Lowman was the real shining star of the bunch – her narration was expressive but also apathetic when it needed to convey that tone as well. I found her chapters in particular really easy to listen to for long periods of time.