Reviews tagging Drug abuse

Girlhood, by Melissa Febos

bowlofnicole's review

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

jnlundy's review

challenging dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

eed8's review

challenging emotional reflective medium-paced

savvylit's review

emotional informative reflective sad slow-paced

"These, once again, were events - not assaults, not victimizations, but not what I would call healthy sexual experimentation. That is, experiences that separated rather than integrated. I want to say that they were not 'normal' experiences, but, unfortunately, I think that one of the reasons we have no language to distinguish them is that such experiences are quite normal."

In Girlhood, Febos articulates the physical and emotional tolls of developing womanhood. The discomfort of getting used to the male gaze, the double standards of heterosexuality, the pressure to be polite and accommodating, the inherent fear of male violence, the purity myth, unenthusiastic consent, and so much more.

While many of the subjects discussed in Girlhood aren't necessarily groundbreaking by themselves, it's the way that Febos approaches them that is so unique and insightful. Febos blends personal anecdotes with experiences from other women and with analyses of cultural touchstones. For instance, in her essay about what it means to be defined as a 'slut', Febos analyzes the implications of the film Easy A.

Febos gives an eloquent voice to the hurt caused by pervasive & nebulous forms of sexual harassment, manipulation, and empty consent. Reading these essays felt like discovering a gift that I have always wanted - always needed - to read.

julied's review

dark emotional informative reflective sad medium-paced

anniefwrites's review

challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

Wow. You know a book is good when you want to go back and reread it right away. Melissa Febos's essay collection attributes microscopic attention to her past and finds common threads that weave together internalized misogyny, lack of agency, and stifled exploration of identity and sexuality. She has such a distinct voice and uses such inventive imagery to welcome the reader into her exhibition of vulnerability. For lack of a better word, this book is full of truth-bombs. I highlighted so much, and it's making me reflect on my own experiences as a girl growing up in a patriarchal society. An excellent read.

kay_jax's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

this was a surprisingly fantastic memoir to me! the mix of part research and part autobiography worked perfectly to create an honest and relatable narrative. i connected with the author’s ability to form seven thoughtful essays, each with their own personal subject matter.

i think girlhood is a great book for uncovering a woman’s journey from adolescence to adulthood through raw and empathetic writing.

annanahnah's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

readingwithcats's review

dark emotional reflective slow-paced

hopemathslow's review

reflective medium-paced

The writing is well-researched and thoughtfully composed, at once brilliant and nuanced. Febos' examination of girlhood and the ways of discovering what that means to yourself and to the world feels a bit like staring for too long at the sunset. It's beautiful but a little painful, too. The halo lingers even after you look away.

"Before I learned about beauty, I delighted in my body. I was a passionate child with calloused feet and lots of words. I talked fast and moved faster."