Reviews tagging Injury/injury detail

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

rayraytaylorr's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful informative inspiring tense medium-paced

There aren't enough words to describe how I feel about this book. This book has everything I want, need and love to have in a story. Firstly, a strong hero, one of the strongest. Bree is a character who can be an inspiration to so many but it brings me immense joy to think about the young Black kids out there who can have this character be their hero. I love the ways that Bree's culture plays a strong part in the storytelling - like the importance Bree's hair plays in her life (taking care of it, responding to how other people react to it), among many other things, subtle and full. In fact, the overall representation in this book brings me to joyful tears. Another thing I love is the way that Bree and Alice's friendship preserves throughout the story - they have their moments of course - but I'm so glad we don't see their friendship forgotten or ending when Bree finds an additional group of friends (I find this happens sometimes when MC's get thrown into a fantasy world). I loved Nick and Sel, our respective sunshine and grump love interests - um but seriously I love Sel and I can't wait to see his walls break down even more. Another aspect to this book that made me fall in love with it was the STAKES. I finished reading a book not that long ago that bored me to death myself so even the slightest tension made me happy but OML- I was unable to breathe, I was shaking and the twists and turns - jaw dropping.

I also really appreciated the way that real life issues were still apart of the fantasy. The way the dealings of racism and Black history, of bigotry as an overall, as well as the grief and struggle that Bree goes through, were part of the heart of the story and were used to limit and advance was important and incredibly well dealt with.

4.5 ⭐️  only because it took a bit to wrap my head around the roles of the Order, the description of demons/enemy moments. But I'm so keen for the 2nd book.

ella_d's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

leob's review

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

This was such a FUN book! The world is hecka interesting, the cast is amazing, the protagonist grew on me and
Spoilerif I DON'T GET A POLY ROMANCE BETWEEN NICK, SEL AND BREE I WILL RAGE-
  ahem, anyways, this was such a refreshing easy to read story! I was flying through it <3
P.S.: The last few chapters destroyed me emotionally tho aaaa

tine9625's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

maggie_atwood's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

nxs06's review

challenging mysterious medium-paced

lessthelonely's review

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

Read my review here: lonelylesspage.wordpress.com

This book will become for me what Joker is for straight men and I would say I'm sorry about it but then again, I'd be lying.

Let me see how I can put my thoughts of this book and expectations for what's to come in simple terms and while keeping my composure. First of all, I decided to read this book because BookTok wouldn't shut up about it. I now understand why. Secondly, this book is absolutely filled to the cup's edge with magic, amazing character interactions between amazing characters, character development so sharp and astute I can't even put it into more words and, finally, it's eventful as all hell, with entertaining and enthralling happenings.

A few of the these are also absolutely brutal, I'd even say earth-shattering.

Other than that, the book's writing is extremely raw and I cannot stress how good it manages to be sometimes, even in times where you'd think it doesn't need to? Yeah, it goes that far to put the nail in the coffin, and I'm glad it does exactly that. But let's start talking about more palpable things and in more specific terms.

This book knows how to keep you entertained. It's action packed but it also knows how to slow down without making it feel like you're going slower - in fact, it manages to make even emotional scenes extremely fast paced, in my opinion. You'll find yourself just going and going, which is something I really enjoyed when I realize this book has chapters with a longer length than I usually pivot for, though the length isn't really set in stone and varies a bit, if my memory doesn't deceive me.

On another note, the characters in this book? Holy shit. Obviously, the main characters are clear highlights but even the side characters are brimming with personality and realism. You will feel for Bree, for Nick and for Sel, sometimes all at the same time. But you will also love William's remarks, the way all antagonists make your blood B O I L. It's top-notch writing and storytelling, my hes, shes and theys.

Along with this, you'll find some amazing themes entwined in this story: Arthurean lore? Incapacitating grief and cope with said grief? Magic framed not as a blessing but as a curse or at something that comes with a price? And two portrayals of magic, at that? Racial issues and very present tension? Search of an outcome and, to be honest, purpose? Love (platonic, romantic and family)? This book's got all that and probably more I can't remember right now.

Now... The romance? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. I had never found a book that made me this in love with a straight relationship. I usually never look forward to a straight relationship in a book I'm reading... But Miss Tracy Deonn said Nah, you're going to root for these two and YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT. And like them two lovebirds I did. I will, however, say, that there's a lot of potential for a polyamorous trio here. And Miss Tracy Deonn? If you give that to me I shall have children for the sole purpose of making my kids read this series - assuming I won't do that already. You have made Bree a character who I feel for and root for with all my being in her moments I can't fathom as a white guy doused in privilege, but you've made her so utterly relatable, raw and real that I felt everything she felt. I fell in love with the guy she fell in love. I felt her internal strife, I felt it all.

So, Miss Tracy Deonn... You've sold me on everything you write from now on and got me dying for the continuation of this absolute masterpiece. And notice I did not stutter, nor did I use that word lightly.

As for any unconvinced readers? I don't know what to tell you other than that if none of what I said convinces you, all I ask you is to give it a try.

fishoutofwater's review