Reviews tagging Child death

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

roseamillerg's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

a bit too much (very confusing and complex) lore for me.

almost DNF’d multiple times, but I am happy that I finished the book.

P.s. William is *chef’s kiss* 😌

P.p.s the cover is so pretty 🥺🥵

Also can I just say SEL🦋🦋🦋💀

Spoiler I didn’t like how the deaths of Evan, Whitty and Russ were written because they happened so fast and so close to each other that I feel like they lost their impact, which is really such a shame (especially bc they were TEENAGERS!! :(

annacolb's review

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

nerdybirdy101's review

emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

I LOVE this book and highly recommend everyone to read this!! If you like the Legend of Arthur and the Round Knights, you are obligated to read this! It mixes the Legend of Arthur with magic and demon hunting, which is absolutely brilliant. The author executed the Legend of Arthur expertly and this is their debut novel!
 Additionally, the author showcases racism and sexism as separate discriminations and combined discriminations particularly towards Black girls and women. I admire the fact that the author was able to showcase these discriminations in a ‘fantasy’ book, because it reminds readers of discrimination and that Black girls and women have to deal with these discriminations on a daily basis.
 The fact this is Tracy Deonn’s first novel blows my mind because this was one of the best books I read in 2020 and I am so glad I was able to end my year with it! I borrowed it from the library and desperately need a physical copy!
 I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this book because it is perfection and the sequel cannot come soon enough.
Spoiler I like the idea of Bree and Nick as a romantic couple and Sel as a brother/best friend at the current time, but am excited to see where the author takes it!

booksthatburn's review

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious fast-paced

Legendborn reckons with deep grief, processing personal and generational trauma. It's also an adventure, a discovery, with exhilarating battles and heart-pounding danger. A dizzying blend between long-needed closure and still-bleeding edges; soothing and deeply satisfying.

As a retelling, I love it. It takes the Arthurian mythos and brings it into the modern era in a way that pulls it through the intervening years, the generations. It contextualizes the history that must have happened in order to arrive at the present moment with an incredibly white and monied secret magical legacy intact. As a new novel that builds a fantastic world on the bones of our own, stirring legends and history together and fixing them into a new form, I love it even more.

The characters are great. There are some world-building sections that tend a bit towards info-dumps early on because there's a lot to explain, but the way they're conveyed builds a sense of just how much information the MC is trying to learn and act on in a very short amount of time for her own survival. I love long nerdy explanations of minutiae, especially of magic systems in fantasy, and this has just enough of that to make me happy without it ever feeling too dense. They don't slow the story down and they helped with immersion in the world. The later parts of the book feel lighter and move faster once those explanations are out of the way, but I definitely want to re-read to catch even more now that I know the ending.

Partway through reading this I said that in order for something to be my perfect book it would need to be a retelling with a heist, or a heist that added space or magic. Dear audience, fellow lovers of heists and heist-adjacent tropes. This book has a heisty scene. If you don't care about heists, that scene does a bunch of great character-work and is fantastic on other merits. But I have found my retelling with a heist, and so I have an extra thing to be happy about in this book.

I've barely finished reading and I already need more. The narrative is layered, with things I can tell will be fascinating in a re-read whenever I get the chance. The only thing I want that I didn't get is more book, I didn't want this to end, but a sequel has been planned and so I'll just have to wait.