Reviews tagging Death

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

rayraytaylorr's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful informative inspiring tense medium-paced

There aren't enough words to describe how I feel about this book. This book has everything I want, need and love to have in a story. Firstly, a strong hero, one of the strongest. Bree is a character who can be an inspiration to so many but it brings me immense joy to think about the young Black kids out there who can have this character be their hero. I love the ways that Bree's culture plays a strong part in the storytelling - like the importance Bree's hair plays in her life (taking care of it, responding to how other people react to it), among many other things, subtle and full. In fact, the overall representation in this book brings me to joyful tears. Another thing I love is the way that Bree and Alice's friendship preserves throughout the story - they have their moments of course - but I'm so glad we don't see their friendship forgotten or ending when Bree finds an additional group of friends (I find this happens sometimes when MC's get thrown into a fantasy world). I loved Nick and Sel, our respective sunshine and grump love interests - um but seriously I love Sel and I can't wait to see his walls break down even more. Another aspect to this book that made me fall in love with it was the STAKES. I finished reading a book not that long ago that bored me to death myself so even the slightest tension made me happy but OML- I was unable to breathe, I was shaking and the twists and turns - jaw dropping.

I also really appreciated the way that real life issues were still apart of the fantasy. The way the dealings of racism and Black history, of bigotry as an overall, as well as the grief and struggle that Bree goes through, were part of the heart of the story and were used to limit and advance was important and incredibly well dealt with.

4.5 ⭐️  only because it took a bit to wrap my head around the roles of the Order, the description of demons/enemy moments. But I'm so keen for the 2nd book.

rebeccafarren's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

explorer_of_legends_and_ink's review against another edition

Worried about triggers, especially
Spoiler sexual assault

mergwenthur's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

holy shit this book is AMAZING

first of all the rep (poc and queer) is SO GOOD. bree is a black woman and the queer rep is casual and amazingly written.

this book was so beautiful and enchanting. it focused on the history of black people on a fantasy based level as well as arthurian legend and bree's own history and family ties.

it usually takes time for my head to wrap around the fantasy world of whichever book I am reading but this was pretty straight forward.

all of the characters apart from perhaps one or two are VERY loveable.

the relationships and dynamics of everyone in the book are very interesting to read and honestly I love them all. i love how some developed over time and the amount of trust and respect they have for one another.

part four had a GRIP on me. i literally couldn't put the book down it was so tense and put me on edge.

I was so upset when it ended but I'm really looking forward to the next book !!

ella_d's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

poet's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

leob's review

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

This was such a FUN book! The world is hecka interesting, the cast is amazing, the protagonist grew on me and
Spoilerif I DON'T GET A POLY ROMANCE BETWEEN NICK, SEL AND BREE I WILL RAGE-
  ahem, anyways, this was such a refreshing easy to read story! I was flying through it <3
P.S.: The last few chapters destroyed me emotionally tho aaaa

tine9625's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

prickly_plant's review

adventurous inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

delaventura's review