Reviews tagging Hate crime

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

habibti_hana's review

adventurous funny sad medium-paced

lessthelonely's review

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

Read my review here: lonelylesspage.wordpress.com

This book will become for me what Joker is for straight men and I would say I'm sorry about it but then again, I'd be lying.

Let me see how I can put my thoughts of this book and expectations for what's to come in simple terms and while keeping my composure. First of all, I decided to read this book because BookTok wouldn't shut up about it. I now understand why. Secondly, this book is absolutely filled to the cup's edge with magic, amazing character interactions between amazing characters, character development so sharp and astute I can't even put it into more words and, finally, it's eventful as all hell, with entertaining and enthralling happenings.

A few of the these are also absolutely brutal, I'd even say earth-shattering.

Other than that, the book's writing is extremely raw and I cannot stress how good it manages to be sometimes, even in times where you'd think it doesn't need to? Yeah, it goes that far to put the nail in the coffin, and I'm glad it does exactly that. But let's start talking about more palpable things and in more specific terms.

This book knows how to keep you entertained. It's action packed but it also knows how to slow down without making it feel like you're going slower - in fact, it manages to make even emotional scenes extremely fast paced, in my opinion. You'll find yourself just going and going, which is something I really enjoyed when I realize this book has chapters with a longer length than I usually pivot for, though the length isn't really set in stone and varies a bit, if my memory doesn't deceive me.

On another note, the characters in this book? Holy shit. Obviously, the main characters are clear highlights but even the side characters are brimming with personality and realism. You will feel for Bree, for Nick and for Sel, sometimes all at the same time. But you will also love William's remarks, the way all antagonists make your blood B O I L. It's top-notch writing and storytelling, my hes, shes and theys.

Along with this, you'll find some amazing themes entwined in this story: Arthurean lore? Incapacitating grief and cope with said grief? Magic framed not as a blessing but as a curse or at something that comes with a price? And two portrayals of magic, at that? Racial issues and very present tension? Search of an outcome and, to be honest, purpose? Love (platonic, romantic and family)? This book's got all that and probably more I can't remember right now.

Now... The romance? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. I had never found a book that made me this in love with a straight relationship. I usually never look forward to a straight relationship in a book I'm reading... But Miss Tracy Deonn said Nah, you're going to root for these two and YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT. And like them two lovebirds I did. I will, however, say, that there's a lot of potential for a polyamorous trio here. And Miss Tracy Deonn? If you give that to me I shall have children for the sole purpose of making my kids read this series - assuming I won't do that already. You have made Bree a character who I feel for and root for with all my being in her moments I can't fathom as a white guy doused in privilege, but you've made her so utterly relatable, raw and real that I felt everything she felt. I fell in love with the guy she fell in love. I felt her internal strife, I felt it all.

So, Miss Tracy Deonn... You've sold me on everything you write from now on and got me dying for the continuation of this absolute masterpiece. And notice I did not stutter, nor did I use that word lightly.

As for any unconvinced readers? I don't know what to tell you other than that if none of what I said convinces you, all I ask you is to give it a try.

jadefire94's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

caoimhe9876's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

This is one of the best fantasy books I’ve ever read

juliettesroma's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

“Don't make your life about the loss. Make it about the love.”

um yeah tracy deonn, i'm at a loss for words... I just finished a reread immediately after finishing my first read yesterday  and still genuinely cannot process everything that just happened at the moment, this book was absolutely breathtaking. First of all, the magic system and lore was so intricate and mind blowing unlike anything I've seen in ya fantasy genre hands down along with the charming university setting balanced it out so well. Like wow the thought process that went into the whole history behind the craft system and bloodlines, it's wholly fantasy excellence that I feel grateful to read such a phenomenal story. It touches on important topics of race and its serious history over the last few centuries and intertwines history into the lore and how the craft manifested itself. And finally we get a story fully developed when it comes to handling grief and it isn't just pushed off to the side or the character getting over it quick. Bree's story of growth, going through grief, and discovering not only herself but her history was so poignant and seeing her realize her inner strengths. Bree's inner thoughts and struggles with dealing with loss really connected with readers on the emotional level, particularly with the denial stage and suppressing so much inside. Her grief process was so utterly raw and real to read, especially particular scenes in the last 20 percent of the book with her opening up a bit more and listening to advice from the closest people in her life had me a sobbing mess. The last 100 pages of this book will go down in the books, it had my brain whirring to keep up with everything that happened. I'm still stunned it was indeed chaos but in the best way questioning like wtf was going on and just shock after shock. It was a genuine rollercoaster of reactions from me, truly left an impact. I'm highly anticipating the sequel and need it instantly, I'm reeling and beyond excited to see where the story goes.

“I recognize that sound. It's the sound of holding on to a cliff by the edge of your nails. The sound of barely containing a pain so immense that to look at it, to raise your own flesh and examine what's beneath, is to risk falling into a darkness you know you'll never escape.”

boredomandwordsofbooks's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

adeliav's review

adventurous challenging funny mysterious fast-paced

YES! YES!! YES!!! YES!!!! YES!!!!!
I love this book. I love it. It's great ...so great.

So this author is new to me and I had literally no expectations of this book. I went in knowing only that the protagonist was a black female teenager and that the mythos of King Arthur was involved,  that's it. When I started reading and found that the author didn't shy away from the heritage of their black characters or the other non-black characters histories I was like "oh okay what a refreshing way of writing adventure, but this is obviously a young adult fiction so I'm pretty sure I know where it's going." Wrong, I was so wrong and I couldn't be happier about it.

I love that I was able to be surprised by some of the twists and turns. I LOVE the level of diversity and inclusion that was written into the story. To the point where if you weren't looking for it you may miss it. So you know written realistically, not just shoved in there to make a point.

This story is clearly the first in a series and due to that has a lot of set up (hopefully) for things yet to come. If the author continues down this path for future books it'll be a new smash hit and I can't wait for the movie adaptation. If she doesn't well... at least this book was great and there are still plenty of things left to wrap up so at least part of the next book will be good. There are two major plot gaps that I am hoping future stories will fill in and hopefully not in expected (*cough* hunger games) ways. I like this authors writing style, not overly descriptive but able to paint a clear picture, very new age JK. She's easy to read and easy to enjoy.

I appreciate the development of the main character... however other characters could have had some more growth. That being said this is fast paced when looking at it from the worlds timeline... not a lot of people could (or would) change as quickly as this book has moved. This means there is a BIG opportunity for growth of other characters in future stories.  I'll just say this here, the argument in the beginning is far too soon, but at least we got that teenage troupe out of the way from the start.

In short read this book... like right now read it.

powellki's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

pseudoliterature's review

adventurous emotional reflective medium-paced

Sometimes you dnf a book after a rocky start, but its plot and characters linger in your mind for longer than expected, and you start to wonder, what did I miss? what am I missing? Luckily, my will power is rather weak. And I was missing a lot!
This book explores the Arthurian mythos and its magic in a surprisingly realistic way, exploring themes that are unfortunately overlooked in most contemporary set fantasy related stories.
I loved the conversations, the characters and specially the relationships they built, rebuilt, and improved. I really enjoyed the magic system, the conversations related to it, how it worked, and the different connections with ancestors; it is also refreshing to see some not Eurocentric magic for once.
I can't wait to read more from this series.

kryan1's review

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced