Reviews tagging Mental illness

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

ella_d's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious fast-paced

britneyleighs's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious fast-paced

scorpioness's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

reading_between_the_trees's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring reflective fast-paced

This is a MUST READ!!!! While it was a bit slow to pick up, it was worth it for the depth. Deonn put the work in to draw out detailed story arc that fully explored and did justice to topics like grief of losing a parent, addressing the racist roots of an institution, valuing all the relationships in your life, and putting yourself confidently into the world. Bree was an incredible protagonist to follow, and Deonn's writing was so rich in every area: describing the magic systems, reflecting on hard topics, giving tension and depth to relationships. Also, bonus points for writing a fantastic NB character, whose role in the story was more than just their identity, but who also added depth to the conversation on discrimination and positionally (i.e. recognizing their white priviledge interacting with their gender). Overall, I LOVED this book and I cannot wait for the sequel!!

lessthelonely's review

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

Read my review here: lonelylesspage.wordpress.com

This book will become for me what Joker is for straight men and I would say I'm sorry about it but then again, I'd be lying.

Let me see how I can put my thoughts of this book and expectations for what's to come in simple terms and while keeping my composure. First of all, I decided to read this book because BookTok wouldn't shut up about it. I now understand why. Secondly, this book is absolutely filled to the cup's edge with magic, amazing character interactions between amazing characters, character development so sharp and astute I can't even put it into more words and, finally, it's eventful as all hell, with entertaining and enthralling happenings.

A few of the these are also absolutely brutal, I'd even say earth-shattering.

Other than that, the book's writing is extremely raw and I cannot stress how good it manages to be sometimes, even in times where you'd think it doesn't need to? Yeah, it goes that far to put the nail in the coffin, and I'm glad it does exactly that. But let's start talking about more palpable things and in more specific terms.

This book knows how to keep you entertained. It's action packed but it also knows how to slow down without making it feel like you're going slower - in fact, it manages to make even emotional scenes extremely fast paced, in my opinion. You'll find yourself just going and going, which is something I really enjoyed when I realize this book has chapters with a longer length than I usually pivot for, though the length isn't really set in stone and varies a bit, if my memory doesn't deceive me.

On another note, the characters in this book? Holy shit. Obviously, the main characters are clear highlights but even the side characters are brimming with personality and realism. You will feel for Bree, for Nick and for Sel, sometimes all at the same time. But you will also love William's remarks, the way all antagonists make your blood B O I L. It's top-notch writing and storytelling, my hes, shes and theys.

Along with this, you'll find some amazing themes entwined in this story: Arthurean lore? Incapacitating grief and cope with said grief? Magic framed not as a blessing but as a curse or at something that comes with a price? And two portrayals of magic, at that? Racial issues and very present tension? Search of an outcome and, to be honest, purpose? Love (platonic, romantic and family)? This book's got all that and probably more I can't remember right now.

Now... The romance? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH. I had never found a book that made me this in love with a straight relationship. I usually never look forward to a straight relationship in a book I'm reading... But Miss Tracy Deonn said Nah, you're going to root for these two and YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT. And like them two lovebirds I did. I will, however, say, that there's a lot of potential for a polyamorous trio here. And Miss Tracy Deonn? If you give that to me I shall have children for the sole purpose of making my kids read this series - assuming I won't do that already. You have made Bree a character who I feel for and root for with all my being in her moments I can't fathom as a white guy doused in privilege, but you've made her so utterly relatable, raw and real that I felt everything she felt. I fell in love with the guy she fell in love. I felt her internal strife, I felt it all.

So, Miss Tracy Deonn... You've sold me on everything you write from now on and got me dying for the continuation of this absolute masterpiece. And notice I did not stutter, nor did I use that word lightly.

As for any unconvinced readers? I don't know what to tell you other than that if none of what I said convinces you, all I ask you is to give it a try.

softselkie's review

adventurous emotional inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

thecourtofreading's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

"love is a powerful thing, more powerful than blood, although both run through us like a river."

kimi72714's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring fast-paced

I absolutely loved this book.

This book reminds me what great YA fiction should be like, and took me back a decade to when life is hectic, and confusing, but wonderful as a 16 year old.

There are difficult themes in this book that everyone will grapple with differently, but the acknowledgement that a country was built on slavery is an important issue for everyone to work through.

I laughed, I cried, I wanted to smack some characters, my chest tingled at the romance scenes.

This book was such a great YA SFF book and I'm so glad teens gave books like this to read now. Thank you so much Tracy Deonn!

batesbarb's review

adventurous challenging emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

caregorman's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

Um omg...this was one of the most complex yet applicable yet accessible fantasy books I’ve read in a while. The conversations about grief, trauma (esp intergenerational), MI, and race were so rare in this genre and enhanced the read. I WILL say I AM dumb and know nothing about King Arthur so all the jargon was a BIT confusing. I’m so interested in where this trilogy? Series? Idk will go tho esp regarding the
Spoiler low key love triangle!!! Kinda conflicted on which team I’m on tbh...