Reviews tagging Misogyny

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

rayraytaylorr's review against another edition

adventurous challenging hopeful informative inspiring tense medium-paced

There aren't enough words to describe how I feel about this book. This book has everything I want, need and love to have in a story. Firstly, a strong hero, one of the strongest. Bree is a character who can be an inspiration to so many but it brings me immense joy to think about the young Black kids out there who can have this character be their hero. I love the ways that Bree's culture plays a strong part in the storytelling - like the importance Bree's hair plays in her life (taking care of it, responding to how other people react to it), among many other things, subtle and full. In fact, the overall representation in this book brings me to joyful tears. Another thing I love is the way that Bree and Alice's friendship preserves throughout the story - they have their moments of course - but I'm so glad we don't see their friendship forgotten or ending when Bree finds an additional group of friends (I find this happens sometimes when MC's get thrown into a fantasy world). I loved Nick and Sel, our respective sunshine and grump love interests - um but seriously I love Sel and I can't wait to see his walls break down even more. Another aspect to this book that made me fall in love with it was the STAKES. I finished reading a book not that long ago that bored me to death myself so even the slightest tension made me happy but OML- I was unable to breathe, I was shaking and the twists and turns - jaw dropping.

I also really appreciated the way that real life issues were still apart of the fantasy. The way the dealings of racism and Black history, of bigotry as an overall, as well as the grief and struggle that Bree goes through, were part of the heart of the story and were used to limit and advance was important and incredibly well dealt with.

4.5 ⭐️  only because it took a bit to wrap my head around the roles of the Order, the description of demons/enemy moments. But I'm so keen for the 2nd book.

leob's review

adventurous emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

This was such a FUN book! The world is hecka interesting, the cast is amazing, the protagonist grew on me and
Spoilerif I DON'T GET A POLY ROMANCE BETWEEN NICK, SEL AND BREE I WILL RAGE-
  ahem, anyways, this was such a refreshing easy to read story! I was flying through it <3
P.S.: The last few chapters destroyed me emotionally tho aaaa

tine9625's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

britneyleighs's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious fast-paced

scorpioness's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

irisheyz77's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious tense fast-paced

zeebookdragron's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

thehaileybirdie's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

I really struggled to get halfway through because of the pacing and the fact that Bree doesn’t know anything most of the time so everything needs to be infodumped on her all the time so that slowed things down a bit. There was also a couple of plot threads going on at once that converge later so that also required more setup than I’ve seen in most stories but the second half was well worth the wait! It took me over two weeks to read the first 200 pages but that last 200 pages took me a five hour sitting from 11pm to 4am…it was that kind of night. I literally could not put the book down even if I wanted to after about page 250. It was so mindblowingly good and I can’t wait for the second one!

I also really loved the author’s note where the message of “I loved these legends (King Arthur) and now we get to to decide who is legendary”. I love Arthurian legends as well and have done a few things in my studies to unpack some of the messages of Arthuriana so it was actually really refreshing to see a retelling that focuses on the toxic masculinity, the racism, and the misogyny of it all. It’s not all romantic love and chivalry…especially not to women of color.

Overall, I had minor issues with the pacing and the best friend Alice who just seemed to be…there. But otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed the plot, the characters, the romance, and the friendship with a certain healer, and the message of generational healing from trauma through mothers. It was really powerful and I wish I could read that ending over and over and over again.

coolbeancat's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional inspiring mysterious reflective medium-paced

skeletaldances's review