Reviews tagging Racial slurs

Legendborn, by Tracy Deonn

andromeda_1998's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

After reading the Witcher I lost my flow and I couldn’t find a book to read after. A couple of friends recommended Legendborn to me in the hope that I wouldn’t fall in a readingslump if I read something I enjoyed. Well did book did help me through it. I read it in 1,5 days and I loved it.

This book has great worldbuilding, some good characters and an enjoyable plot. The worldbuilding is based on arthurion legends but it is done in a very unique way. I am not a fan of taking mythology and shipping it to America though. But I can lead it slide since it was done respectfully.

The characters are typically ya, the story focuses on Bree, a girl and twee guys. And as you can imagine with a ya novel there is a possibility for a love triangle. The characters are well put together though. The grieve that Bree goes through is done well but can also be very triggering.

I would recommend this book to almost everyone but before you decide it check the triggerwarnings.

cbuchanan's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

caoimhe9876's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

This is one of the best fantasy books I’ve ever read

booksandbrews's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional reflective sad medium-paced

leia1's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad medium-paced

rachaelsfantasyland's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Full review to come.

sfbookgirl's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional reflective tense medium-paced

The reviews don’t lie; this book is PHENOMENAL! I sensed some Ninth House (Leigh Bardugo) vibes relatively early on and was pleased that it didn’t feel too similar. Dark fantasy academia is my favorite genre so I knew coming into Legendborn that there was a 99% chance that I would love it. The book is about a high school student named Bree Matthews who enrolls in an early college program at UNC-Chapel Hill a few months after her mother’s death. After witnessing a magical demon attack on her first night at UNC, Bree discovers her own magic and is eager to determine if this is at all tied to her mother’s death.

Legendborn is Tracy Deonn’s first novel and I can’t wait to read what else Deonn writes. The character arcs, family histories, and legacies are so spectacularly executed and bring forth important issues like inherited grief, slavery, and racism. It also speaks about the power of Black women, strength, and self-discovery. Because Legendborn loosely revolves around the legend of King Arthur, I suggest brushing up on that story before diving into the book. And while it’s a hefty 500 pages, I never found Legendborn to be slow; it caters perfectly to my preference for plot-based stories. I can’t wait for the sequel!

dreareads_'s review against another edition

I loved everything about this book. Best book I’ve read in 2021!

This book is about magic, heritage, loss, growth, strength, legacy, individuality, community, history, love, acceptance, and courage ♥️

booksandmo's review

adventurous medium-paced

kimi72714's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring fast-paced

I absolutely loved this book.

This book reminds me what great YA fiction should be like, and took me back a decade to when life is hectic, and confusing, but wonderful as a 16 year old.

There are difficult themes in this book that everyone will grapple with differently, but the acknowledgement that a country was built on slavery is an important issue for everyone to work through.

I laughed, I cried, I wanted to smack some characters, my chest tingled at the romance scenes.

This book was such a great YA SFF book and I'm so glad teens gave books like this to read now. Thank you so much Tracy Deonn!